SILVER STARS and the Pouchet dynasty by Ian Lambie

Enter the Pouchets of Western Main Road at Cocorite. Mrs. Pouchet had purchased a tenor pan for son Edgar “Junior” from Hugh Borde of Tripoli Steelband, and later one for younger son Edwin as a birthday gift. Together with some friends, other pans were obtained and the band “Gold Coast” was formed. In 1953 “Gold Coast” merged with “Silver Stars.”

One evening in May 1953 the Police raided the panyard and arrested and charged six of the youths for creating a nuisance and disturbing the peace. The accused were defended by attorney Arthur Wong, and the Magistrate George Cabral dismissed the charges and ruled that steelband practice may not be a nuisance before 10 p.m. Arthur Wong sued the State for wrongful arrest and each of the boys was awarded Two Hundred and Fifty Dollars, a tidy sum in 1953. This information was supplied by Ray Chan and Colvin Joseph who were present but were not arrested. This incident had an adverse effect on the parents of some band members...

Read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Excellent history, Ian.

• Claude  you're ah real diehard.

Brenda H.

• LORD HAVE MERCY!!! AH LOVE SILVER STARS!!!

All you have to do is say SILVER STARS and TEARS DOES COME TO MEH EYES -- I eh LYING, check my previous postings if allyuh doubt meh!!!

EVERY TIME AH THINK ABOUT SILVER STARS/ WATER COME TO MEH EYE

This reply was deleted.