When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Congratulations to the members and management of Silver Stars.

When Steel Talks

1st Silver Stars - 469
2nd Phase II Pan Groove - 468
3rd Trinidad All Stars - 460
4th Desperadoes - 458
5th Renegades - 457
6th Exodus - 456
7th Siparia Deltones - 450.5
8th Redemption Sound Setters - 442

Click on link for full breakdown http://www.panonthenet.com/tnt/2009/results/2009summaryresults.htm

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a die hard Phase11/ Boogsie supporter I must say I feel Boogsie dropped the ball on this one. I waited to hear the boom of the magic drum somewhere in his rendition..but was left slightly disatisfied. Silver Stars sounded fantastic..and the level of enthusiam from the crowd tells you that Trini people know sweet pan when they hear it. I am also suprised that Desparadoes did not place higher.
My vote would have gone to Desperadoes. Phase 2, and Allstars were also awesome. Renegades seemed a tiny bit off.
I agree with Alvin D ( so knowledgeable and so cool- reminds me of Obama!) that judges should keep scores of all bands in front of them so they can score in relative order. Writing scores down on scrap paper seems very risky to keep everything straight, especially when a point can determine a bands final place. The top 4-5 bands were all so good that it becomes difficult to put them in any order. Perhaps it is only the subjective qualities that separates them.
I also agree that throwing out the hi and low scores seems strange - done in Oympics to prevent the bias from a judge and competitors being from same or opposing countries. But for steelband having a consenus of several judges may be more accurate than concenus of a few judges. Statistically speaking, usually the more measures made in an experiment the more accurate the average becomes, assuming the measuring device is accurate and precise- same could apply to panorama judging- as long as the judges are competent- the more that score- the better. I hope that is reconsidered for 2010.
The rigid categories for scoring does take something away from arrangers motivation to be truly creative. Arrangers must address the criteria in their arrangemnet to have a chance to score high and to win. If there were no categories, just the judges impression of the overall performance, taking into account of all musical ideas in the categories but leaving room for "feel" or 'vibe" or just overall interest, creativeness, likeability I wonder how the order may change.

For me, Despers performance took me somwehere the others didnt. There was a trance like quality in it- like the feeling you get when staring into a fire- I thought it had wonderfully controlled dynamics also that created "mood".
The tenor AND seconds, AND cello, AND bass work by all the bands is simply mind blowing. Boogsie's arrangement had some really interesting sounding parts. And in Renegades piece I sometimes thought I was hearing 2 famous Jit melodies at the same time- that was very interesting. All in all, sorry anyone has to "lose" . In my mind all the participants are Winners. What a beautiful art form steel pan is.-
D.Gettes
Media, PA
My vote would have gone to Desperadoes. Phase 2, and Allstars were also awesome. Renegades seemed a tiny bit off.
I agree with Alvin D ( so knowledgeable and so cool- reminds me of Obama!) that judges should keep scores of all bands in front of them so they can score in relative order. Writing scores down on scrap paper seems very risky to keep everything straight, especially when a point can determine a bands final place. The top 4-5 bands were all so good that it becomes difficult to put them in any order. Perhaps it is only the subjective qualities that separates them.
I also agree that throwing out the hi and low scores seems strange - done in Olympics to prevent the bias from a judge and competitors being from same or opposing countries. But for steelband having a consensus of several judges may be more accurate than consensus of a few judges. Statistically speaking, usually the more measures made in an experiment the more accurate the average becomes, assuming the measuring device is accurate and precise- same could apply to panorama judging- as long as the judges are competent- the more that score- the better. I hope that is reconsidered for 2010.
The rigid categories for scoring does take something away from arrangers motivation to be truly creative. Arrangers must address the criteria in their arrangement to have a chance to score high and to win. If there were no categories, just the judges impression of the overall performance, taking into account of all musical ideas in the categories but leaving room for "feel" or 'vibe" or just overall interest, creativeness, likeability I wonder how the order may change.

For me, Despers performance took me somewhere the others didn’t. There was a trance like quality in it- like the feeling you get when staring into a fire- I thought it had wonderfully controlled dynamics also that created "mood".
The tenor AND seconds, AND cello, AND bass work by all the bands is simply mind blowing. Boogsie's arrangement had some really interesting sounding parts. And in Renegades piece I sometimes thought I was hearing 2 famous Jit melodies at the same time- that was very interesting. All in all, sorry anyone has to "lose”. In my mind all the participants are Winners. What a beautiful art form steel pan is.-
D.Gettes
Media, PA
Congratulations to Silver Stars on their victory. It’s nice to see an "outside” band win instead of one of the usual suspects.

For a while I thought that the championship was owned by the four or five top bands , and they passed it around to each other from year to year.

Maybe we should have a discussion of the harm the panorama as structured does to the moral and psyche of the smaller steelband communities who fail to make it to the final rounds of the Panorama. In many cases the band's spirit is so broken, their participation in Carnival is over until the next year

But that discussion may best be left for another time.

(I use the term steelband communities advisedly; I think the steelbands are more than just bands, they represent many small communities in T&T)

BTW I was in All Stars pan yard last night as the results were being announced, and while there was disappointment among the supporters , the feeling seemed to be one almost of joy because “The Phase” didn’t win.

Anyone but Boogsie seemed to be the prevailing attitude.

Again, congrats to Silver Stars for a job well done.Theirs was a fine performance.

Contrary to some opinion expressed here, I think it was an outstanding Panorama finals night, with great performances by all the participants.
Congrats to Silver Stars , best arrangement,they were very organised ,got on stage did what they had to do and got off the stage..Well done Silver Stars de CHAMPION......
Sidd, pardon my ignorance but is it a new thing for bands to lose points due to supporting crowds taking too long to cross the stage?
It's not a "new" thing....basically, how long a band takes to set up is timed....and that is irrespective of outside factors.....a bomb could drop on the stage, they would still time (ok...this is exaggerating, but u get my point). The Phase lost points for setup time even though setting up the band was hampered by the crowd not wanting to come off the stage...

Honestly,I think this panorama belongs to Phase II...not because of my bias....but because this is he LARGEST crowd I've seen with the Phase since 2003 (Music in we Blood...lost in a similar manner). Also, in a poll conducted prior to the finals, 81% of the ppl polld carded Phase II to win panorama...personal preference aside, we were clearly the favourites going in. We hadthe best position...and then Pantrinbago did their nonsense to exodus....believe it or not, that affected us.
Hey Sidd "They lost points in set up time" Really? No points are given for 'setting up time'. So they could not lose what was never there to gain. Silver Stars won with their entrance and and yes their 3 African "magic" drums. That's where the two performances differed.
Hay Brother A.L.Nunes
As a player from south who has made it to panorama finals on a number of times with skiffle bunch, when it is time to set up on stage that "issue" comes up, every time.how true it is i don't really know but it does appear to hold true at times (like in exodus case)
Ok.But consider this. Skiffle Bunch goes on stage an sets up in ten minutes. Then comes Despers and they take 50 mins. Will Skiffle Bunch be "given" say 5 marks for setting up time and Despers penalised 10 marks for taking longer. No marks are given for setting up. I have seen score sheets ..and it does not exist. As far as the number of players a head count is normal procedure before abnad is given the green light to play. What was problematic this year was Pan Trinbago stating that only 100 players would be allowed.....then out of the blue, after the semis, rumor had it that the number had been upped again. Rumor is one thing but communication between Bands and PanTrinbago is something else.
Congrats to Silver Stars - Well Done. Die-hard Phase II fan, but we missed the mark, tempo was down from the Semis, that may have made the difference. My Call - Silver Stars, Phase II, Despers. What's with All Stars - Why? That performance was not deserving of a third place finish. Also, congrats to Siparia Petrotrin Deltones. Loved the arrangement of I'm Not Drunk. Quality of the arrangments and the tunes this year were excellent (and this is across all categories, small-medium-large bands), what a change from the year when every other band played Band from Space. Pan is on a good footing.
Thanks for pointing out the third place decision; I too didn't see All Stars in the mix of the first 3 bands.Desparadoes may have had a better arrangement in my estimation. I also appreciated Zanda's effort (Deltones) based on orchestrative clarity. I thought he should have placed higher..As far as the general standard of the music I am not sure that it was better, or worst than normal. It was prdictable in most cases as usual with a few glimmers of novelty eg.Boogsie'e intro, without the usual chromatic passages,, Silver Stars , Pouchet's understanding that panorama is all about dance music and Clive Zanda's use of the middle voices (melodically) to enhance tonal quality and to ensure orchestrative and instrumentative balance. I would like to know why with a 100 piece band/orchestra there is still a lack of musical clarity within sections of certain voices?
Maybe steelbands/orchestras may need to begin mirroring how conventional orchestras/ sections are orchestrated with 1st, 2nd & 3rd instruments, parts eg. woodwinds, brass and strings and percussion to emulate different tonalities and timbre to ensure clarity, balance and continuity of melodic and harmonic passages.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service