Congratulations to the members and management of Silver Stars. When Steel Talks 1st Silver Stars - 469 2nd Phase II Pan Groove - 468 3rd Trinidad All Stars - 460 4th Desperadoes - 458 5th Renegades - 457 6th Exodus - 456 7th Siparia Deltones - 450.5 8th Redemption Sound Setters - 442 Click on link for full breakdown http://www.panonthenet.com/tnt/2009/results/2009summaryresults.htm

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Somebody help! Just watched Silver Stars video on panonthenet this aft, thrilled by it.No wonder they won. Nice to hear the beginning. Couldn't hear that the night of the competition. I go back to see it again, can't find it! Where is it? It should be up here for a long time.
  • PHASE 2 WAS ROBBED OF VICTORY. AND THIS IS CONFIRMED BY MANY OF YOU ON THIS POST WHO DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE MUCH TO SAY ABOUT SILVER STARS PERFORMANCE, OTHER THAN THEY HAD A NICE INTRO.
    PHASE 2 INTRO WAS 10 TIMES BETTER. AGAIN PHASE 2 WAS ROBBED. THE STEELBANDSMEN ARE CLOSE SO NO ONE WILL WANT TO DISPUTE THE JUDGES DECISION AND TALK THEIR MIND. THEY BEHAVE EXACTLY LIKE THE CALYPSOIANS (EXCEPT GYPSY), KEEPING THEIR MOUTH SHUT. THAT'S WHY THE JUDGING WILL NEVER BE FAIR. SILVER STARS GOT A FREE GIFT. GO BACK AND LISTEN TO THE 2009 PANORAMA LARGE BAND PERFORMANCES AND I BET ALL OF YOU ON THESE POSTS, NOT ONE WILL TELL ME SILVER STARS WON THAT NIGHT. THE ONLY THING NICE ABOUT SILVER STARS WINNING, A NEW BAND FACE IS SHOWN, AND ALL THIS IS A RESULT OF SOME FOOL THAT INTRODUCED THE MEDIUM BAND, SMALL BAND ETC. THE FOOL KILLED EVERYTHING. BOOGSIE TOOK THIS SAME PHASE 2 YEARS AGO, A VERY SMALL BAND AT THAT TIME AND ALMOST HALF KILL THE LARGE BANDS IN THE SAVANNAH WITH RAGS TO RICHES. BRADLEY NOT LONG AGO TAKE SCHOOL BOYS AND GIRLS AND WIN PANORAMA WITH NUTONES (HIGH MAS). PANTRINBAGO AND PAN SUPPORTERS WAKE UP. SERIOUS JUDGING IS URGENTLY NEEDED, SIZE DOES NOT MATTER. MOST WOMEN WOULD AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT. EVERYBODY CANNOT WIN AND WORST YET FEELING SORRY FOR A LOSER AND GIVING THEM THE PRIZE.
    • Patrick Robinson, I too have nothing to say
    • Smalley - all you provide is empty words - this is costing you nothing so youh free with your keyboard. Meanwhile Silver Stars has been spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in pan tuning etc. Arranger and players have put in hundreds of thousands of hours.
      Can't you at least take the time to be specific about what was so good about phase II - was it the way Boogsie opened up the chords, phrased the runs, changed the key, emphasized the mid range pans what, what, what????????????. What was so bad about Silver Stars - was it the quality of their pans, the tempo, lack of imagination, originality, creativity WHAT?????????????
      Should we take you seriously just because you are a Phase II supporter who has never taken the time to listen carefully to another band?
    • Turn off your caps lock please...
  • Hi everyone. I'm from Texas, and I was in Silver Stars with 4 other American friends of mine, and I have to say it was the experience of a lifetime! We just had a dream of playing in Panorama Finals, and it was amazing to us to add a 1st place win to that, we couldn't believe it, being our first time to Trinidad.

In terms of quality and complexity of arrangement, Silver Stars and Despers had the best by far. Watching the DVD, (although I know I am biased), Silver Stars just had something special energy-wise that evening. I don't know where it came from, but it was definitely the best and most energetic we had ever played the arrangement.

I usually love Boogsie's music, but this year his arrangement was just not up to par. It was meandering and directionless, lacking in musical complexity, and just not that fun to listen to frankly. I don't know if it was the source material he used, or if he had an off year, or how slow they played, but I think there were many bands (Exodus, Renegades) better than Phase II this year, especially the Desperados.

In terms of the 100 person rule, it probably did help Silver Stars, since we originally had 120 or so, and how can that compete sound-wise with Phase's 160 or whatever? But, Edwin cut us down to 100 players 3 or 4 days before Finals. Someone said they thought we had to cut some on the drag, but I don't think so, or it might have been just 1 or 2 extras who showed up. I don't know if it's a good rule or not, this being my first Panorama, but rules are rules and all the bands should have cut those players in advance, instead of having to crush those players right before they went onstage. I think that was irresponsible of Phase and Exodus' management.

We were so thankful to the Silver Stars and Edwin Pouchet for letting us join their great band. Everyone there works very hard and has a great, positive attitude that we really loved. I also want to congratulate Edwin for his win. He is such a humble, nice, and talented musician, and I think he really deserves this recognition, as does the Silver Stars for going from Medium champs to Large champs in 3 years or so.

Thanks to all of Trinidad from our group, for welcoming a bunch of American pan players and giving us such an incredible musical and life experience. We hope we can come back someday and share it with you again!
    • I have to agree with you on Phase II this year...the arrangement was 'ordinary' to say the least...and it had nothing to do with the tune Magic Drum...It's a great composition, but I believe Boogsie thought he would win regardless of what he did or didn't do to the tune...I watched the show from home and when he was interviewed after the performance he was brimming with confidence, saying that "this was the easiest Panorama to win" ...you should have seen his face when they announced Silver as winners...Over confidence is a dangerous thing...
      • After now having had time to watch the DVD and listen again - I would agree with you Merrytone this was not Boogsie's best work. He was very safe. I didn't get any of the old taking chances Boogsie
    • Were you the foreign players who first played for Invaders and when they did not qualify, joined Silver Stars?
      Congrats on a superb performance.
      • Yep, that's us. We had a great time with the Invaders, but we just really had a dream of playing in the Finals, and were just going to be sitting around for those last 2 weeks otherwise, so we went to the Silver Stars panyard the night after the Semis results.

The drill master said he would consider us if we learned the piece fast, so we were there all day long the next couple of days, and basically learned it in 3-4 days. It was exhausting, but we were so happy when they said we could play.

Picking Silver Stars was a combination of us liking them and Despers the best from Semis (and we figured it would be much less likely for a bunch of white people to be welcomed into Despers easily), and the fact that Silver Stars was the next closest panyard to Invaders, since we were walking. It was just a crazy, happy coincidence that Silver Stars ended up being the champion band this year, although we'd like to think that we helped contribute, at least a bit, to that out of the ordinary win :)

Thanks, we had a blast!
This reply was deleted.