Siparia pannists need $ for US tour

Newsday - Joan Rampersad

The Siparia Youth Steel Pan Orchestra, a branch of the Siparia Police Youth Club, is embarking on a tour to Virginia, USA, from August 14-28.

Invited by West Indian United Ltd, producer of the Virginia Carnival, the youth band has been contracted to play at a number of events.

Sgt Roger Worrell, who is in charge of the group, told Newsday the tour will cost upwards of $370,000 – and to date the band is still short of $$200,000-plus.

Forty people are in the travelling party, 34 of whom are children. Worrell said the pans have already left TT, since the band was able to pay for them to leave the country on Wednesday night by sea.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Claude Gonzales, correct me if I am wrong, steelbands from Trinidad have been making foreign trips since the early 50s I believe, and under the leadership of policemen too. In 2019 for a steelband to attempt, or even consider making a trip abroad in the absence of a comprehensive, detailed and confirmed plan for a journey that will more than likely begin at their panyard and end there, they should consider not leaving the panyard.

I would be inclined to believe from what I have read in the newspaper report, that the band may have already agreed to a confirmed itinerary upon arrival at their destination (contracted to play at a number of events). Now let's not put the cart before the horse, before a tentative itinerary is agreed upon, there must be conversations, and confirmation on at least the following, and in the following order:

Tour Planning 101 for steelbands.

1. Travel arrangements for band members. (visa/work permits where necessary/tickets)
    2. Freight arrangements for instruments.
    3. Board and lodge for players on arrival at destination.
    4. Ground transfers
    5. Tour itinerary
    6. Per diem 
    7. Itinerary   

A suggestion for steelbands embarking on foreign travel for the first time.

• I CANNOT CORRECT YOU -- Mr. PROVIDENCE!!!

• BEVERLEY RAMSEY-MOORE and PAN TRINBAGO are MAKING MILLIONS with the PAN FACTORY -- at least those have been the reports on THIS FORUM by RUSSELL PROVIDENCE and OTHERS -- so why can't SHE provide the FUNDS to support this VENTURE.

Are all the PAN FACTORY PROFITS going to go to FUNDING THE MEDIUM BANDS IN TOBAGO for PANORAMA 2020?

Under this PAN TRINBAGO ADMINISTRATION, I think we will have to rename PAN TRINBAGO -- PANTOBAGO!!!

Archie and Rowley and Beverley have NO PROBLEM with that ... while all the TRINIDAD GENIUSES remain SILENT!!!

WE SO TALENTED!!!

This reply was deleted.