When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

So why did the judges reject Boogsie Sharpe and Phase II Twice

The mighty Phase II is a card-carrying member of the Big 5. Rarely do members of the esteemed group get a "hell no" from the judges. This year the Phase II got it in both the semi finals and finals. Why? Could it be that Boogsie's music simply went over the head of the judges? Or this was not a year for unknown original Pan tunes? Or the judges were right, it wasn't happening this year?

Views: 3485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The tides are changing and there are many young and musically minded arrangers knocking at the doors. It will not be long before Andre White from New York and the other three young New Yorkers with Skiffle will be in the forefront. They are getting their boots wet in the Mecca. The great Clive Bradley is gone and these foreign based arrangers got a taste of his spiritual works in music when he was with Pantonics in NY. Also watch out for Venessa Headly from San Fernando. I was very disappointed with Boogsie after he refused an interview after Phase II performance at last night finals with Alvin Daniel on Ctv .   

A talented , well disciplined steelband playing a great arrangement of a popular tune.
Unbeatable combination.
Congratulations to Trinidad All Stars Steel Orchestra and Leon Edwards .
Again !
BTW I think that Boogie's idea of making all those last minute changes did not work out .
Musicians did not appear as sure and relaxed as they usually do , and it was reflected in the music.
And this was even more so because the tune of choice wasn't a popular tune.
We have to stop thinking that radio stations have an obligation to play unpopular tunes at carnival time , just to support steelband culture.
That will never happen , and popular , familiar tunes will always have an advantage over less popular "pan tunes" in the competition.

The music of Boogsie's both arrangements were very sweet music. The languages it spoke of was love. However, love should not be only of the heart and mind in the material world. It should also consists of the bodily reactions of emotions. Rhythmic sounds are the parts of music which deals with the bodily reactions and emotional feelings. Right through the both arrangements I have been passing messages to players, and the rhythm section leader and drill master, that the arrangment of the song needed to be more expressed also by the rhythms of T&T. If the song spoke of Red, Whire and Black and its lyrics were based on partying, the rhythm section neede to express this more. Therefore I kept hearing both African drums we also created here and the tassa drums as well. In certain parts especially "the all ah we is one family" refrain should have been backed by the tassa and African rhythms coming together. Both arrangements needed to express more rhythmically that conglamorations of the different ethnicities of T&T's Red White and Black. Boogsie cannot write anything like what the other bands win with. He is a musical head which comes from his heart. But this year his music needed "Passion" from the body. You can only get that by added rhythms. So in addtion Boogsie and Phase ll will need to add these drums to their rhythm engine room. This is heard in the other top bands.

Seems like we listened with the same ear. The percussion did not come through well
Maybe the mike placements did not allow it. That being said the players gave it their
best shot all things considered. Boogsie did some real cutting edge things here with regards to counterpoint+
various conversations taking place simultaneously and look for him to continue down this road.
All this from a longtime Despers fan who appreciates every band and music on the whole.

The very first time I heard Phase 11 this year I knew that there was something lacking. The usual enthusiasm was not there. Also the tune was not well known. Unfortunately if a band chooses an unknown song then the performance has to stamp it in the minds at the first time it is heard. This tune did not do that

Boogie is a trailblazer and perhaps this year the players were not able to stay with him and confidently execute the new arrangement. He will surely take his lesson from the result and continue his work. The arrangement had its passages and moments both disappointing and inspiring but the players definitely seemed not to be with it. All Stars gave a brilliant performance but they too have had their low points in the past. Phase II will surely rise from the ashes one day, whether it be next year or at some other time..

Phase !! is simply too innovative and avant garde in its renditions. Way beyond the rest!

You left out, "And should win every year." Why would someone revamp their entire song? He knew they were in trouble. The competition hurts the culture because people only accept results when they are favorable. You'd swear Boogsie invented music.

Phase ll came 8th in Panorama  I don't see where "too innovative and avant garde in it's renditions" factor in here.

Okay, avant garde, what was the first prize Phase 2 ever won?

Cecil: It just seems as if you are broken-hearted by Boogsie's fall from the BIG 5!!!

Claude, Boogsie is a musical genius, geniuses do have set-back at times, this is what makes them even greater. For the past two years he has been experimenting with new music, next year he'll come again from a different angle. His music has always been "cutting edge" it will continue to be so. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll be at the top again.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service