He is one of the most prolific, well-known songwriters to have ever walked the planet. With over 600 (six hundred) songs under his belt and to his credit, his songs have shaped and influenced generations. And in no short order he is one of the greatest creators of songs that have defined and championed all aspects of Trinidad and Tobago life and culture. Music that has touched the soul, defined and crossed generations, are undeniably his.

From Sparrow’s ‘Rope,’ to Baron’s ‘Somebody,’ to Machel Montano’s ‘Too Young To Soca’ to Mighty Trini’s ‘Sailing’ and so many more - these world-renowned artists have all profited significantly from the pen of Winsford “Joker” Devine. In an exclusive interview with When Steel Talks, the former panist and eternal songwriting great pulls no punches as he lays out his career experiences, pains, disappointments and triumphs.

read complete interview

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Joker is a treasure, he' still doing like ah Boss..

• No body does it better! Not even Mc Donalds.

• When was this interview done?

• This interview was done last week. Just curious. Why do you ask?

• So many triggers got cocked in my "Calypso Mind" I had to make sure that I was reading the interview in the right context in terms of the time line. And having read his book and several articles about his LIFE IN CALYPSO -- the date of the interview was of paramount importance before I considered responding to this posting.

I think that "JAMMER" is the most sophisticated lyric that Mr. Devine ever wrote!!! But everybody on this forum knows that I don't live on the same bank of the river with the other members -- so no surprise there.

This interview was like a Christmas Gift to me!!! Thanks!!!

• Dr. Devine is a true Trinidad and Tobago treasure. 

• Congratulations!

This reply was deleted.