There is an article in today's New York Times discussing the difficulty bands in Brooklyn are having in finding a pan yard. This is a VERY big problem facing the community. Thanks to the NYT for highlighting it. 

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Cecil, you are so correct about not owning property and the situation,even in T&T. You must take your hats off to Massy All Stars on the purchase of the property adjoining their yard.

• People are very ungrateful they show no gratitude to ones that paved the way I always show respect to the elders in Calypso because the things they went through and the sacrifices they made for calypsonians to be making the moneys they make now also the panmen where were they when i used. To get $4 for playing all season when i had to hide below my pan to prevent me from getting a buss head when steelbands used to clash when my bass pan used to stick in mud because it had no.. road in the savannah and the culture voltures that dont even beat a drum and leaves with a bag of money after canival people giving a stellband event and hirering soca artiest to perform and leaving out calypsonians that compose pan songs for the steel bands to use for panorama you ever heard a pan song in the soca monarch?not even one pansong calypsonian in a steelband event like Winston Defosto Scarborough you ever heard Jamaica giving a world reggae championship they know that Jamaica is the home of reggae Trinidad is the home of the steel band we shouldn't have to give a world steel band championship to show the world that we are the home of the steelband how will it look if a steelband from japan wins?i

• Dont get me wrong but they are bands in NY that been around for long periods of time when property was real cheap.

Bands that won panorama on more than three  occasions they should have invested half of the money towards property,

They are locations I have seen that can house practice locations for plenty of bands in brooklyn but.

• I would really like to hear what the younger ones in the culture have to contribute to what is now happening in Pan Land Brooklyn, USA.

• Buy land in Canarsie.

• The steelbands don't generate the funds to do anything, that's why we have this never ending problem.

• It's not funding that's the issue but management of resources - not just financial but also material and human. 

• What else is new? Steel bands have had this problem since the beginning of time. In America we live in an anti steel band society. Most folks only pay attention to steel bands at Carnival time, Pan-A-Rama time and Jouva. The bands hardly get any gigs and when they do, they are not properly promoted. Pan should be featured on prime time T V as far as I'm concerned and If I ever become a millionaire that will be my top priority. Pan, especially in New York is treated like someones step child. 

I would also build what I would call Pan City down near the end of Brooklyn where Fulton Street begins and loaded with forgotten property were no one lives and therefor void of noise complaints. Where all bands could practise 24/7. purchase instruments, have there instruments made and retuned, sound proof rooms for bands and indiviuals. A giant dome built building with passenger and freight elevaters, recording studio's. dance halls at least (8) stories high.cable T V station  Board of Directors. Plus I would welcome all and every suggestions.  aka: Tahzann,  aka: Curly

• Sometimes We all forget that Brooklyn or I might Say The USA is not Our Sweet T&T. We are being tolerated. We are Trying to Fit Our Culture into their Life Style. They don't Understand what We went Through to Get this Instrument to where it is Globally Accepted. We cant be Mad or even Feel that We deserve Special Treatment because of Our Unique Invention. Real Estate in Brooklyn is Very Precious. They wont Sacrifice Building Space to Accommodate a Steel Band. A lot Of Steel Bands are Very Lucky to be Holding Prime Lots to Practice. Another Problem is  the Tenants who Live around these Steel bands Practice Facility Complains about Noise Pollution and the Police always Comes and Shut down the Practices. It Aint Easy in Brooklyn.

• Every other culture has found a place in this country and this city. It could have been accomplished if the leaders in the early years had vision. No plaster for this wound. It has been ozzing for some time now.

This reply was deleted.