When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The New Visionaries Pan Foundation has in its possession a list of Two Hundred Plus Trinidad and Tobago Steelbands which have become defunct for various reasons. These steelbands existed as far back as the early 1940’s. This list was compiled by one of our Directors Keith Simpson, and it was commissioned by The Arch Bishop of Pan, Dr. Pat Bishop before she passed. May her soul rest in peace.
Some of our defunct steelbands named here are: Atomic of Arima, Black Swan of San Juan, Boom Town of Tacarigua, Concrete Yard of Curepe, Empresarios Scarborough of Tobago, Lucky Jordan of Tobago, just to name a few.
Given the worldwide spread of our Trinidad and Tobago nationals who are true Pan Aficionados, and who were affiliated with these steelbands and the Pan movement of that era, the Foundation thought it prudent to present and post for discussion on WST forum, "Steelbands which have passed" from as far back as the 1940’s. It might be necessary to name the location of the panyards, as duplication of steelband names are very possible. What do you say Pan people?

Views: 4011

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a roughly sorted collection of the contributions everybody made to this topic. A couple bands were added from other sources and a couple bands might have been overlooked, unintentionally. There are over 100 bands listed here and I am sure that posters will keep adding to the lot.

Atomic, Ambassadors, Am Boys, Antillean

Battan, Birdland, Black Swan, Blue Stars, Boom Town and Boystown, BP Serenaders

Casablanca, Cavaliers, Chicago Steelband, Ciro, City Kids, City Symphony, City Synco, Cliff Tones, Concrete Yard, Crossfire, Crossroads, Crusaders

Del Vikings, Dem boys, Dem Fascinators, Dem Fortunates, Dixie Harps, Dixie Land

Empresarios

Fascinators, Finland, Flamingoes, Free French

Gay Philadelphians, Gem Stars, Golden Dukes, Gondoliers, Green Eyes

Hellsapoppin, Highlanders, Hillside Symphony, Hill Sixty

Jay Notes, Jazz Cats, Jewel 22, Joyland Synco

Kintups

L’il Carib, Lucky Jordan

Maestros, Mello Harps, Melody Makers, Melo Stars, Metronomes, Modern Years, Morvant Ebonites, Motown

Nightingale, Nutrine Playboys

Old Oak Starlift (Tobago)

Pandimonics

QT Minors

Rebels, Red Army, Rising Sun, Rochdale, Rogues Regiment

Saint James United, Samba Boys, San Juan All Stars, Satisfyers, Savoys, Scarlet Symphony, Sea Bees,  Silhouettes, Silver Harps, Silver Tones, Southern All Stars, Southern Symphony, Southland, Spellbound, Sputniks, Sputnik Stars, Stalingrad, Starnicks, Starland, Stereophonics, Stromboli, Sundown Fascinators, Sundowners(?), Sunland (Belmont), Sunland (Tunapuna), Sun Valley, Symphonettes

Teenage Symphony, Third World, Trinidad Symphony, Tripoli, Tropical Harmony

West Side Symphony, West Stars, West Stars (Sando), Wonder Harps, Wonderland, Woodpeckers

Zone Stars

Good record keeping , Claude :)

Excellent Claudie

Great work.

Aye Claude, you should be doing diaz wuk boi, dis is reel wuk fuh yuh money!!!!!!!! GREAT man!!! Ah go vote fuh yuh!

Other Steelbands  I recall Katzenjammers, Tropitones, Dixestars, of Woodbrook And Symphonettes  St James

Isn't West Side Symphony still around I though they enter Panorama this year in the medium category while Starland enter in the small category for the conventional bands?

Pan Am North Stars.

Heinekin Pan Vibes

Just in time Dave!!!!

I will add 2 more,  MARABUNTAS and  JOHANNESBURG FASCINATORS..paddy corea

People all these Steelbands came out for carnival, most did not have a sponsor, they rolled on the ground. Today we have a few and they ride on a float, did we learn anything from it's history?

Very good Claude,in alphabetical order makes it easier,keep adding. I thought that Hitparaders and Saigon (two of the bands from which Starlift was formed, were mentioned) as I did not want to duplicate. You also had Arirang opposite Victoria gardens heading into Diego Martin.I also did not see Girl Pat and Merry Makers.

There is a West Stars functioning by the Water Wheel heading into Patna Village in Diego Martin,the other from south I remember as Texaco West Stars led by Fitzgerald Sparks (deceased). He had a band in the Palo Seco / Erin area I can't remember the name,south people might know. Sparks ended his playing days in Starlift, travelling from South nightly!

RSS

© 2020   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service