When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The New Visionaries Pan Foundation has in its possession a list of Two Hundred Plus Trinidad and Tobago Steelbands which have become defunct for various reasons. These steelbands existed as far back as the early 1940’s. This list was compiled by one of our Directors Keith Simpson, and it was commissioned by The Arch Bishop of Pan, Dr. Pat Bishop before she passed. May her soul rest in peace.
Some of our defunct steelbands named here are: Atomic of Arima, Black Swan of San Juan, Boom Town of Tacarigua, Concrete Yard of Curepe, Empresarios Scarborough of Tobago, Lucky Jordan of Tobago, just to name a few.
Given the worldwide spread of our Trinidad and Tobago nationals who are true Pan Aficionados, and who were affiliated with these steelbands and the Pan movement of that era, the Foundation thought it prudent to present and post for discussion on WST forum, "Steelbands which have passed" from as far back as the 1940’s. It might be necessary to name the location of the panyards, as duplication of steelband names are very possible. What do you say Pan people?

Views: 4395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bede: Yuh was holding out on we or what?  Whey yuh get that long list from? Meh typewriter ribbon running out of ink.

Claude Gonzales, I am hoping that you are able to UPDATE your list so we can check it as we go along, this way the Members will be able to check the list and Add as we go. This Discussion can go on for a long while and we will be bringing History to WST. (If you need assistance on Update, check with WST and they will tell you how to do it).

What about Corregidors from barataria. Do they qualify?

Noel: There is an updated list on Page 8 that includes Corregidors!!!

southern marines WAS dormant ...but they were revived i think in the

mid eighties...to date they are very ACTIVE...promoting the instrument

amongst the youths...

has anyone ever heard of '' The Dead End Kids'' from lower Lavantillerd rd.

SOUTH STARS..Emerged from the legendary HATTERS...they too have passed

Boney M. & THE ORIGINAL TRINIDAD STEEL BAND with Don Mellow (1979)

Is this a band that has passed?

Can anyone identify any player?

I have read through all the contributions so I will not duplicate any already listed. I have to ad the following:
Belmont United from Archer Street, Belmont
City Serenaders originally Abercrombie Street, moved to Olton Rd, a break off from Casa Blanca; Sam Brown was Captain
Czechniks, Gonzalez
Mexicanos, Hermitage Road was run by Robbie Greenidge's uncle, Carl Greenidge
Mexitones, Samuel Lane, Belmont
Modernaires, St. Francois Valley Road, Belmont
Pandemonium, Jerningham Avenue, Belmont
Prodigal, St. Paul Street, behind the bridge
Skylarks, Belmont
Spike Jones, Laventille

Thanks, A. Joseph

Thanks Ansel!!!

Pandemonium moved from Jerningham avenue to Norfolk street,still in existence.

Good looking out Gerald I thought they were defunct, Sorry about buddy

RSS

© 2021   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service