Replies

• And the visitor to Trinidad asked, "What happened to the local steelband?" And the old man responded: Like the people of Sumner, they forgot their HISTORY, and so...they died."

Ghost. An adaption to a quotation from one of my history books.

• No! we can coexist, the savanna big enough just cater for them.

• Do the soca shows,and fetes coexist with pan?NOOOO.pantrinbago is there to inform,educate,and encourage participation in, and sales of pan and pan events,worldwide,just as any other business. Done right,those 11,000 paying dj"greenies"would be still paying,but to come to hear pan instead. Pantrinbago is there to uplift,enhance,and sell pan to the world. Come on panorama should be expanding,and escalating to higher heights,not split in half with djs.Panorama is the greatest,most exciting most unique show on this planet,and it should be treated as such.Peace and Love.
  • I agree with Sidd totally!!....these ppl not interested in listening to pan..only dj music and soca artiste they want to hear...y dey jus aint go to the fetes and done steuuuppss...Pantrinbago is killin the Panorama..i say stop the Greens party!!!!!

• I see this disrespect continualy, the Greens is just another version of it. Imagine yesterday was the National Semi Finals in the Single Pan catergory, the operative word there is NATIONAL, and the nation was saturated with the calypso from Skinner Park, no coverage or mention of this on any radio station, or TV entity in Trinidad and Tobago, please correct me if I am wrong.It would seem to those like myself who are interested in every aspect of the National instrument that the powers that be wish these people who have been practicing night after night, just like any other steel band in the twin nation, would just go away, disappear. These bands, wether you like it or not have followers, supporters, relatives, family far removed, who are interested in what they have to offer.

• IT IS SAD TO SEE KEITH DIAZ AND HIS PANTRINBAGO CLOWNS SELLING THEIR SOULS FOR A FEW PIECES OF SILVER .AS.NOT ONE RED CENT OF PROFIT FROM THE GREENS IS EVER GOING TO REACH ANY OF THE PANIST WHO PERFORMED AT THE SEMIS.THE DJS. AND WHOEVER ELSE CONCERNED,ARE THE ONLY ONES TO BENEFIT FROM THIS DISRESPECTFULL VENTURE.IF A PERSON DOES NOT LIKE PAN,AND WANTS TO HEAR DJ.NOISE,THEY CAN GO TO A FETE.OUR NATIONAL PANORAMA IS FOR PAN,IT IS ONCE A YEAR ,THESE CHARACTERS CAN HEAR DJ. MUSIC THE WHOLE YEAR.WHY ON GODS EARTH WOULD THE ORGANIZATION THAT IS THERE TO GUIDE AND UPLIFT THE PAN BODY HAVE A FUNCTION ON THE SAME DAY,AT THE SAME VENUE,AS THE GREATEST SHOW ON THE PLANET IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE.PANIST ACROSS THE COUNTRY NEED TO GET TOGETHER AND PUT A COMPLETE STOP TO THIS UTTER MADDNESS RIGHT NOW.IT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO HAPPEN AT ALL ,NOT LAST YEAR NOT THIS YEAR. NEVER."WHA HAPPEN LIKE THEM PANTRINBAGO DOTISH CLOWNS NEED A DOSE OF 1965 OR WHA"

• I dont agree. Panorama is a people thing and should remain so. Where else can the public accumulate to support their Bands? The North and Grant Stands cannot accomodate that mass of people who come to Panorama. We must not lost sight of the fact that the Savannah belongs to the people. We must also remember that as Pan lovers and Pan Players, we were once  part of that culture of being on the green. Why would we now want to deprive others of that same privelege? That is very selfish. People from all over the Nation  gather to pay homage and support their Bands and have the right to do so. Leave the Green Party alone.

• Valentine, your words are very encouraging. Thank you for representing the masses, not the elite. You drive home some very important points, and easily dispel those "agents" on WST, who represent the "status quo", and would like to "maintain" it. One cannot "create" ANYTHING that already existed, and the FACT is Trinidad's Carnival (and society) has ALWAYS been about class. I know it from first hand experience, because I seen it - playing with a grassroots band (Diego Martin Merrytones), when they were a "big band". I've played at private functions, and seen the snobbery of the invited guests. I've seen the "skin color"  and class separation at the "all-inclusive" fetes. I've seen the "Trini Posse" get on bad. I've seen the class separation in mas on Carnival Tuesday. I used to date into the "elite", before I settled down, and rubbed shoulders with the snobbish. I've been to the Chinese Laundry fetes. To say that "young people" are the ones attending these high-cost, exclusive and "all-inclusive" events, is to not represent the truth, for I know, from experience, that it is a certain "class" of people that make up the majority of attendees, and most of them are "middle-aged" and older. The "reveler" who got butt naked to "Take Off Yuh Clothes", certainly cannot be considered a "youth". It is absolutely contradictory to, on one hand point to the "class divide", and, on the other, to suggest that the "people who sponsor bands can attend, government officials, VIPs  and special visitors" should be the attendees. Some speak with forked-tongues, but they cannot fool me, and will impress only the uninformed/under-informed and easily impressed. Thus the success to pan and Panorama, becomes the allowing of the old and elite of "all races" their chance to "all-inclusiveness". To suggest that "young people" are the problem, is a form of "prejudice", and this may sound like age stereotyping, but, one should also understand that "race" prejudice, sometimes is covert, and it is up to the listener (or reader), to be aware enough to recognize this ill in it's latent form. (FYI - "Prejudice = Pre + Judgement) Finally, to claim that this as being "deliberately creating", is also misrepresenting history (pretty much like saying "Winston Spree invented pan"), for, again, "gap between the haves and the havesnots, the racial divide, the class divide etc." have ALWAYS been a part of society and Carnival in Trinidad & Tobago. Thanks again, Valentine for representing! Love to ALL "youths", regardless of "age". It's your mindset that keeps you FOREVER YOUNG!!!   (For those "researchers", see Gordon Rohler's book, "Calypso & Society in Pre-Independence Trinidad". It's a great launching pad into "Carnival studies".) 

• Valentine, you should read Total Disrespect  By Raffique Shah_ Trinidad Express.

• Valentine  - you are WRONG!!!!  This is a pan event -that's it....it is for PAN.  I was there on the drag and there were thousands of people there to hear pan and enjoy pan.  I had 3 nieces and 1 nephew that went to the Greens and they told me quite frankly that they went to the Greens to fete to DJs and Soca and drink and lime and did not want to hear pan.  No one on the Greens were in the least interested in pan.  In fact they loudly protested whenever the DJs had to shut off for a pan side to play on stage.  We will never get our youth to appreciate pan and come back to pan if we continue to indulge this sort of nonsense.  I accept that the Greens are a cash cow for Pan Trinbago and kudos to them for that inspiration and it didn't affect the pan competition at all except for the overcrowding of the Green which was pure greed on Pan Trinbago's part. I think that the Greens should go or put them over by the Hollow by the zoo where they will not interfere with the Pan event.  They (the limers) will still come - trust me.....'cause all they want to do is lime, drink, and listen to Soca.

This reply was deleted.