Guardian March 11, 2019

Fer­nan­dez said every year, the gov­ern­ment gives con­tracts for tents and in­fra­struc­ture to the tune of tens of mil­lions of dol­lars.

“Why not buy this in­fra­struc­ture and have it ready to use for Car­ni­val,” he added.

He said the East Port-of-Spain area should al­so be made in­to a Car­ni­val Her­itage site.

“Year-round, this her­itage site could at­tract do­mes­tic and in­ter­na­tion­al tourists. You can go there and see how a steel­pan is be­ing tuned. It could gen­er­ate a whole lot of eco­nom­ic, ac­tiv­i­ty,” Fer­nan­dez said.

He added that a pro­pos­al has been cre­at­ed to di­ver­si­fy Car­ni­val which will be shared with the Gov­ern­ment.

Fer­nan­dez said T&T had a rich cul­tur­al lega­cy that must be pre­served through the es­tab­lish­ment of cul­tur­al theme parks and sug­gest­ed Cha­cachacare Is­land could be used as a lo­ca­tion.

“We think us­ing skills in mas, a theme park could be built on Cha­cachacare Is­land to build El Do­ra­do, the city of Gold, com­plete with a sun god. There could al­so be a Hor­ror House, pre­sent­ing all the char­ac­ters of our folk­lore,” Fer­nan­dez added.

He said this would at­tract tourism and gen­er­ate for­eign ex­change for T&T.

Read More

Fer­nan­dez want the es­tab­lish­ment of cul­tur­al theme parks and sug­gest­ed Cha­cachacare Is­land could be used as a lo­ca­tion.

Gypsy want a STAND ALONE CARNIVAL in TOBAGO.

Beverley want PANORAMA in TOBAGO.

Russell Providence want GOAT RACE & BLUE FOOD FESTIVAL [moved from TOBAGO] for TRINIDAD.

DR. DOLLY want to change the formula for JUDGING THE ROAD MARCH.

... all I want is ONE PIECE of decent PAN or SOCA MUSIC coming out of the Carnival (or any time ah year for that matter) that could get some GLOBAL RECOGNITION.

Lord: How long ah begging for that!!!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ha! I want to see competence in what is being done towards efficiency. I want retention of some ethos which bred fear, surprise, and anticipation of the great creative energy which espouses Carnival. I want less electronic sounds, and more human sounds, that is all, that is all, that is all!

• Ayesha: I think that it would be good for THIS FORUM if you expanded on this sentence: "I want retention of some ethos which bred fear, surprise, and anticipation of the great creative energy which espouses Carnival."

I know that you are a RETIRED PROFESSOR -- but give we ah little FREE LECTURE, nah!!!

• Since Diaz, Forteau and company are no longer running Pan Trinbago, new vultures see an opportunity to get a piece of the action.

This reply was deleted.