Sweeping changes coming to Carnival

Trinidad & Tobago Newsday

Trinidad & Tobabo, W.I. - Chairman of the National Carnival Committee (NCC) Colin Lucas said there would be changes next year to the way TT’s greatest show on earth, Carnival, was showcased.

“Next year Carnival, we are going to push really hard to make more sweeping changes to the product itself because I think few people disagree that the Carnival product had become unexciting and uninviting and just plain unattractive,” he said. Lucas was speaking to the Newsday yesterday on the return of investment for Carnival. He said he could not say what were the primary indicators to track the returns.

The NCC received $147 million to disburse for Carnival 2018, but there were no reports of profits for the country.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Best Of Carnival 93

• What wrong with you, Bugs? Like yuh never hear THIS CALYPSO or what?

• I will say it for the umpteenth time ; It was the steelband , not scantily clad women that made the Trinidad Carnival different , unique and especially vibrant , among the world's Carnivals.

After all , we always had Brazil and New Orleans , and they had the women , but they didn't have pan..

For the carnival to recapture the imagination of the world , the steelband has to be its centerpiece of the carnival , not just a sideshow.

And I'm not saying a return to pushing pan on the road like we did in the sixties , but more efficient platforms for mobility and even amplification if necessary have never been fully explored in the modern era.( And I don't mean a "combo" panside on a truck).

Without the steelband as its centerpiece , the carnival becomes just a third rate celebration of the flesh.

We aren't going to fix this without going back to square one , building on what we did right in the past , and learning from our mistakes.

• The sooner Steelbands realize that they have to organize themselves, the better for them.

• Bugs, I can't agree with "the Gov. must NEVER let them back into the Savannah" in a few years they have succeeded in emptying the Grand stand and North Stand, they have damage  the Gov. game.  allowing them to operate is only killing what we have, that's what they want, the Gov.  has to control them.

• This is nothing more than Trinidad carnival history repeating itself. Anything of cultural significance rarely if ever come from the elites or want to be elites. They can never understand see what you see or felt in Pan being on the road. There will be a rebirth of the true Carnival experience. Peter Minshall said it best, when he described what's going  on at the Socadrome as soulless and  not Carnival. 

bugs

• The government has an opportunity to again create a carnival that is about the peoples genius and creativity in the fashion of maybe Brazil's Carnival. The Socodrome is a carnival with ill intentions from its inception based on class and race.  How soon we forget how the management of the Socadrome Carnival were severely reprimanded when they articulated their agenda. Since then they have gone quite with their prime directive and toned it down.  The government must never let them back into the Savannah. It is amazing how history repeats itself. 

Pan needs to come back on the road. And Trinidad carnival need to re-invent or recapture itself.

• The Government cannot be putting on a show and the principal players not show up, peoples tax dollars is involved here, they have to get tough and make sure the rules are followed. The NCC role is NOT just to hand out Gov. grants, it is their responsibility to full up the Grand stand and North stand carnival days.

• First rule change should be, ALL bands MUST go through the Savannah.

• He said there were scientific ways of tracking the kind of economic activity that was attributed to Carnival.

Ah wonder if there were scientific ways to track all the money that THE EXECUTIVES of PAN TRINBAGO steal from the PANORAMA COFFERS?

Colin Lucas come like one ah dem BIG GENERALS in TRUMP CABINET: Spoiling his GOOD NAME with this NCC corruption!!!

This reply was deleted.