When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The bomb tunes of the 60s was one of the high points of the Steelband thus far, we have moved so far from that it's hard to visualize that there was such a period.

What have we done to the steelband in the name of progress.

Glenroy, odw, Val please take us back with some of the bomb tunes from this period on this snow filled Tuesday, lets show young people where the steelband went back in the day.

Views: 6310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Allyuh send meh back to Pan School with this post...thanks Cecil...

merrytones,we have to thank ALL the posters that contributed to this discussion, we now could find some of the best Steelband music from a by-gone era on WST

Indeed bro...quick question...Did Starlift ever play "I'd be a fool for Rachmaninov" as a bomb tune?...Dat tune bad fuh days boy...

I see this as also an opportunity for the "movers and shakers" in the Steelband movement to see how far they moved from this period and where we ended up. We seem to have destroyed something that was vital to the existence of the Steelband. 

This is an attempt at attaching Silver Stars' arrangement of This Nearly Was Mine

Attachments:

Larry: Thank you very much!!! It played just fine. I remember jumping up in SILVER STARS to that song on JOUR OUVERT MORNING -- mesmerized by the music. SILVER STARS was the ONLY STEELBAND that ever touched me -- to this day. Although I must say that I went to ALBERTA for the CARNIVAL one year and I heard a STEELBAND play "HOW GREAT THOU ART" and they managed to reach me. 

Every year I promised myself that I would actually go and listen to bomb tunes at the Victoria Square venue.   One word to the arrangers of the bomb tunes, try and pick contemporary tunes.   Imagine Invaders chose "Smoke get into your eyes", a tune which has been played by more than one band as a bomb.    "Super Nova" was no better with their choice - "Besame Mucho".   You are leaving out the youths with this nostalgic music as a good friend claimed.    The youths cannot relate to those tunes.   Silver Stars save the day with "I will survive", and a small pan around the neck band, who actually learned their tune that morning by the cemetery played "I did it my way".   

All Stars was the same.   I did not hear Despers, as I was so fed up, I left the competition very early.

There are too much good contemporary music for steelbands to be holding on to Smoke get into your eyes and Besame Mucho. 

Come on arrangers, put on your thinking caps.    If not give the job to young arrangers who will make better choices.

Sam, I'll make one statement with reference to the point you made, older people supposed to teach the younger ones, not bend over backwards to please them.

In our days did the older guys do anything to accommodate us? the answer is no and we learned about the MASTERS, the youth of today are not much different, they are sampling all kind of old music.

Curepe Schazandoes ( spelling ?? ) played  " Besame Mucho " also as their Bomb and it was so well received that the people actually danced in the streets that Jouvert Morning years ago . It's on You Tube , check it out . The Bomb tunes of long ago were tunes long before our time and they were all well played, well received and we were youths then . Many of the Bomb tunes were Classical pieces , Symphony music played on the road in calypso tempo and they were all just GREAT Performances .

And that's what we DO BEST, Steve!!!! We play FOREIGN MUSIC in CALYPSO!!!

Claude , sorry but I do not understand your post re we play foreign music in Calypso best . All Panorama Tunes played are local , and we do not have many other types of music from local artiste . Music is an international language , it has nothing to do with geography and our Panmen are skilled enough to master any type of music that they choose to perform . Dr. Stalin said it quite nicely " if yer doh know where yer come from , yer kar know where yer going " .

Another great one by Curepe Scherzando "Que Sera sera" (Whatever Will Be Will Be) by Doris Day.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service