The Circle of Fifths

From time to time on this forum there have been discussions about the "circle of fifths" as it relates to the steelpan , it's creation and creators.

As a non musician , I've been highly intrigued by these discussions, and did some research out of curiosity.

Form the website "For Dummies" I found some information , which I quote in part, that may be of interest to those unschooled in music theory 

"The Circle of Fifths is a foundational tool in Western music theory"

"In the sixth century B.C., the Greek scholar and philosopher Pythagoras decided to try to make things easier for everyone by standardizing, or at least dissecting, musical tuning. He had already discovered pitch frequencies in musical instruments by vibrating different lengths of string, and he had defined what exactly an octave was, so he figured this was the next logical step and created something that is now called the Pythagorean Circle, which eventually led to the more common Circle of Fifths."

You can get more detailed information at the following website , though there are others:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/the-circle-of-fifths-a-brief-history.html

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm not half as ignorant as U but, The world is going to know that, in a 2005 GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER article by SEAN NERO, already posted on WST public knowledge, QUOTE the PM said, a mandate/order was given to UWI Professors Brian Copeland and Clement Imbert, and pannist Junia Regrello of San Fernando , to create a new family of pans, based on the tenor, But pans to be developed must be in the fourth and fifth model or the spider web design, and must be patented. question, WHO invented the 4ths & 5ths design ? answer, Williams, question, WHO patent and copyright the said design ? SNSE for and in the name of Anthony Williams, question, how could research and create something already in existance ? answer, it's impossible to create anything already here, and according to AG Ramlogan, $34.5 million when it do not have the tt lettering behind it it's US dollars, was allotted to the research, of Anthony Williams/SNSE 1968 big 29 inch in diameter tenor pan, U Brian Copeland call the first of it's kind Genesis G - pan, the reasons Y WE/SNSE is on your ass, me personally, is because, after U recieved the Country Highest Award for his work U insulted the man in a Thursday September 4th 2008 GUARDIAN article by MICHELLE LOUBON, quote, Williams put down the 4ths & 5ths tenor pan 40 years ago, what is significant is, I am not sure what high school exposure he went to and so on, u talking about poor wording, ( high school exposure and so on) , let me disclose a little something to you Copeland, the big tenor pan was MY baby from 1964, it took Tony 4 years to complete it, as I was on tour with BWIA from 1967, so take a good look at my profile photo, that's the "Mega Pan" 1986 in the US, and there is a bigger one in the process in the US as well ... more to come later.

• JJJ: I think it is entirely possible that someone who had some background in music could have suggested to Tony Williams that he try the CIRCLE OF FIFTHS design  What do you say?

• Hello Claude

Risking jumping in here again... hopefully there will be no interference this time. Tony explained  how he worked out the sequence -- I saw it in person at a Pan Trinbago workshop held at NIHERST. It was either the Friday before Carnival of that year or the Friday before that. This was during the time of Patrick Arnold but I cannot recall the year. Pan Trinbago claimed that they recorded  the audio but no one has heard of it since. It was the first time that he went into details of the discovery

What he explained then was that he was trying to reduce the dissonance between notes. I cannot recall if he made any mention of playability at the time but his geometric sketches suggest that he may have. As I recall there was a bit of trial and error. 

I did not get the impression that he knew of the Cycle of 5ths in music theory at the time of the discovery. No doubt, it would have been shown to him afterwards and this is probably why he did not claim it directly in his design registration (he did not file a patent based on local records) but claimed, instead, for an instrument (the first) that may have carried the pattern. 

Design registration Tony Williams 1963.pdf

• $81.5 million US dollars to date and still counting, that's over $513.45 million dollars of the Citizens of Trinidad and Tobago money, Other tuners never claim it as there own via Patenting it, they don't have any royalties to pay but do, when the US Supreme Court, the Queen and Privy Council finishes with you, the poorly worded stupid  legal US patent and copyright literature will prevail, you so-called academic scholars think PAN MEN are stupid, and has fail to understand that, common sense made book, we at SNSE anticipated every move you et al would make after you were served, from the meeting in "Skiffel Bunch " office, to letting the 28 days expire, asking us for a 6 week's extention, also asking the court for an extention, alleging that the claim is frivolous and vexatious and it should be dismissed, the court cannot give U an extention, the court rule of law was 28 days, it never said wait untill after the time expire's and i'll give you an extention, and y'all Judge Boodoosing giving us an alternative/threat, wanting how we could file the a claim without an attorney, which seem to bothered him, when he said withdraw the claim or I/HE, will dismiss it today as the court transcript will disclose, I will expose more later... 

• This all seems like blissful ignorance.. and will be dealt with as such. Anybody understand what he just said?  

• Claude…yuh see why I stay quiet sometimes?...

• Merrytones: You kind of knew that was coming. It's kind of an interesting issue though.

• Claude boy…once the discussion gets personal I prefer to stay out...

• Merrytones: I hate the personal stuff too. But speaking of personal!!! I want to come down to your panyard and give a presentation on  "ARPEGGIOS AND MELODIC CONSTRUCTION". The presentation will focus on the use of broken chords in  three songs: Samba de Orfeu, Rainorama and Matilda.

CIRCLE OF FIFTHS PANS  are required for this analysis.

The NEW VISIONARIES done kick me off the slate so I have to find new friends in Trinidad. Ah thought Bertel was going to nominate for something but like they doh want no EXPATS on the slate. Sorry, ah starting to get personal.

• Well Well Well, Mr Infringer Plagiarist Brian R. Copeland, you shouldn't be concern with what Greek Mathematician PYTHAGORAS, and the Russian NIKOLAI DIETSKY did or did'nt do, it's what U did, is the issue at hand, U was supposed to seek written permission from the owner and or inventor of any Design Patent and Copyrighted item before you reproduce said item, and you also cannot Patent any already Patent and Copyrighted item any part of the world, and you also cannot revoke a Patent that is not your own, that's tampering and interference, therefore: the US Supreme Court will be INDICTING you soon enough, and as for the T&T claim that YOUR Judge Boodoosing said he dismissed, well you cannot dismiss a claim where you FAIL TO FILE A DEFENSE and the CLAIMANT has already file for JUDGMENT BY DEFAULT as ordered by the HIGH COURT, I'lluminatie / Lodge boy's or not, do not know what your Judge dismissed but it was not CV2014 - 00079, but you will be called before 's the QUEEN'S and PRIVY COUNCIL, let us see your relative the former former PM get you out of this one, you see, WE have friends in high places too, this not Techono Pan of 2004...
This reply was deleted.