When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The Judges Have Spoken - Do you agree with their decisions? - Finals Up Next

What's your musical take on the competition?

Views: 1868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Marcus - What did you think about Birdsong?

bugs

They might have held back a bit too much, I am still partial to them though.  Needed some more tempo too.  Say what I'm a DespersFan and a BirdSongMom!

All I can say is WOW!!! to BOOGSIE arrangement can't find words for this futuristic musical arranger... This is as original as it gets pure sweetness... there is no musical genre, no words to describe his majestic work... it left the radio commentator speechless all he said was WOW!!! after the performace... The played as though it was finals more music comming... All those who said more love is a 4 chord composition and not a good song for panorama... what do u say now? Remember BOOGSIE is a musical genius. 

This is a tough one. The criteria for judging pan is so difficult there is no real criteria and the pan arrangers don’t quite get it. I think personally no one really knows what is being judged. The two leading bands in winners row, Desperadoes and Renegades, have both played along the same lines for years with the slight punctuation of All Stars in the early days of pan. Now we have a mishmash of stiles and speeds making it hard to really judge. To change it now, one may say it is stifling the growth of pan, however how could you really judge reggae beat with a Soca beat or jazz beat. That is why most musical competitions have categories just for this purpose.
My opinion is they should judge this year and as of Next Year stipulate (BPM) Beats Per Minute, Maximum and minimum. This is Panorama and not a “sit down and listen to” festival. The music should move you like Soca and make you want to dance. I have no need for a funeral march at pan or a jazz ensemble. Bringing the crowd to life should be a judging point. These guys practice for hours with absolutely no chance of winning when the judges see a Boogsie style one year or a Jit the other, bands such as Birdsong with Andy Narell or Fonclaire with Professor, might as well stayed in their pan yard.

OK! THE JUDGES DON'T LIKE GOOD MUSIC, MUSIC IS COLOUR AND NOT WHAT BANDS LIKE ALLSTARS AND SOME OTHER BANDS PLAY ,AND IF YOU WANT TO GET FAIR JUDGING YOU HAVE TO HAVE FOREIN JUDGES BECAUSE. THE JUDGES ONLY LIKE PHASE 2,ALLSTARS,SILVER STARS AND  EXODUS.AND DON"T ROBERT GREENIDGE. WHAT MOST PEOPLE IN T&T DON'T UNDERSTAND IS THAT EVERY PANMAN ABROAD REPRESENTS T&T EVERY TIME WE PLAY A PAN SO  STOP MAKING EXCUSES ABOUT THE JUDGING, MOST OF THEM FAVOR THE BANDS I MENTIONED.

WHE YUH COME BOY I WILL ADVISE YOU TO THINK AGAIN DESPERS  IS A GEM WHEN IT COMES TO PANORAMA, RENEGADES AND ALLSTARS ARE THE TWO  MOST REPETITOUS AND MONOTONOUS. OF ALL, SO CHECK YUH SELF.

All Stars eh have the same impact they had on meh last year.Ah like Phase 11 this time,and Invaders too.

As an Invaders fan you would appreciate this video link 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkzdu5GOr_E

No Arranger can beat Arddin Herbert for his total immersion and hands-on approach to arranging.

Oh please Yes many can beat Arddin who has been arranging the same song for the past four years!

Yes, you got it right Korey Vincent. But I have to say Arddin music is fun and enjoyable.

love them all

For the first time ah cyah badtalk the judges, they did ah good job.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service