The Judges that Judged the Medium Bands, did they also Judged the Large Bands? I hoped not, it's too long for all the Large Bands to be Judged properly. These Judges Brain will be Mind-boggling. Maybe that's what happened? I don't know. .

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It is unfair to assume bias on the part of the judges.  They are qualified experts and judge each band on its merits.  I understand that the scoresheets are collected after each performance so that each band is judged individually.  A few years ago Silver Stars won two years in a row and Exodus did the same  so it is not entirely accurate to say "same two bands every year".  I accept and respect the judges' decision, even if my Band did not win! ....and I do not think that there is any boredom factor or that foreign judges should replace local ones.  No-one else knows as much about pan as our judges, some of whom are BTW based abroad.  

• Gerald, tell them! He is absolutely correct with his info. People will not be happy with any result that they do not favor. I am developing software to eliminate the judges that we see on the night of each show. My software will be Programed to determine how each band sounded and will deliver its findings by numbering from one (1) which will be the lowest score to (1000) ONE THOUSAND which will be the highest score. It will be hooked up to its own sound system with suspended microphones located inside the area where the patrons listen to the performance.....it will be hearing what you are hearing.  IT WILL NOT CONSIDER....Applause, Boos, Whistles or Comments of any kind. After all my Genius work to complete this project, I hope everyone will be pleased with the results. the Name of the software will be HEARTLESS.

• AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

• Bede and others let me shed some light here.You have four panels of judges. One for single pan, for small bands, for medium and for large. You have six on a panel with 5 and an alternate and at the end they drop the highest and lowest scores. No judge or panel is allowed to judge in more than ONE category. OWD, there is no secrecy as these people are known before and are publicly announced before each competition and are visible at the judges table in full view of the public.Junior ,the same panel will judge from the prelims to the final, so if a judge (s) tells you things to work on, the same panel hears your tune right through to the finals so another group of judges will not contradict what he,she or they wrote.

A score of the verse and chorus of the tunes played are available to the judges and they are played repeatedly during the setting up of the bands on stage,which takes a while. Pan Trinbago has a pool of judges to choose from and some are recommended by the general body.There was a time when judges were hard to get as many refused ,but now that it is "ah paid big wuk"people are making themselves available.

• Marcus & Gerard, thanks for the info, I was only making sure that we don't have the same Judges Judging the Medium and also the Large that would be too tiresome.. My Questions now is,(1)  Are the Judges familiar with all the Songs that each Band going to play in the Preliminaries before the Competition or are they hearing some of these Songs for the first time? (2) Are all the Judges capable of reading the SCORES? (3) Are we using the same Judges for the Large Bands every year? (That might be so, Same Bands in the Finals every year)  

• ok Bede,

In retrograde order I will attempt to touch on your questions.

*The judges are rotated every year. It is also evident of that because you would notice that in 2010, 2011, and 2012 Exodus, Renegades and Desperadoes were kicked out after the semi-finals respectively. It's noted also that both All Stars and Phase II have been in the top 3 bands for quite some time and have been winners in the last 10 years (with the exception of the 2 years that Silver Stars jumped out and upset the flow of the current). 

*The judges (at least the majority) are able to read scores.

*I am not sure if the judges are familiar with the songs before, however if they are not, a simple recommendation to the powers that be is to just have a CD given to the judges at least a week before preliminaries with the tunes of choice for the bands in their categories that were registered.

• Marcus, If your Answers are true it's very much Appreciated as some of these Questions have been asked before and I never noticed any of  these answers. Another thing, If the Majority of the Judges have BA in Music and no experience in Steelpan then it shouldn't be a problem hiring outside Judges to avoid any Conflict of interest/ Favoritism. (BTW, are you part of Pan Trinbago?) Just asking.

• I can understand your call for foreign judges and it's 50/50 where that is concerned for many reasons personal to me. You have a valid point though...never thought about it that way lol!

And BTW, I have sat on committees and presently sit on 2 boards of youth organizations (unrelated to pan) but in no way would I sit on an executive that ain't going anywhere. O_o

Bless!

• Marcus, I am Glad to hear, LOL,  But we do need some Young people like yourself to keep the Steelband going, all the older folks like myself and your Kin (Tash/Ash) will not be around too long. Thanks for giving us your Thoughts and Answers, we will not forget you.

• :-) 

Uncle Tash really is my inspiration for how I speak. lol! I'm sure I can contribute to the betterment of the Steelband community in other ways lol! One thing I can guarantee is that I will NEVER stop giving my 2 cents where I see fit!

This reply was deleted.