Replies

• Rest eternal Dr. Alexis Job well done.

• Condolences to his family and friends he was a great man and took the instrument to a different level and I am proud to have been his friend.

• The pan world has lost another giant.  My deepest condolences to all.

• Salah & Family extends condolences to the family of Cliff.

I have come to know Cliff over the years and to be around him is to feel his experience in pan. He has contributed so much and has helped so many.

Cliff, you have certainly done your part here, may you find eternal peace in the hereafter.

Rest in Peace my friend

• Condolences to the family of Dr. Cliff Alexis

• Deepest condolences from Merry Tones and Ice Water Pan Ensemble...

• Hatters Steel Orchestra extend their deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Dr Clifford Alexis on this sad day of his passing. We also share the sadness of his many colleagues and students at the Northern Illinois University (NIU), DeKalb, IL, USA.

Clifford visited us in our panyard, San Fernando, Trinidad, TT, in the early 2000’s in support of some of our Panorama efforts. We recognise him as a pioneer TT master pan tuner and also acknowledge the contribution made by the Northern Illinois University to be the first US academic institution to induct a Trinidadian pan tuner into their fold of teachers and to henceforth accredit the steelpan with the respectability of a contending musical art-form.

Clifford Alexis will be missed, but his memory cherished, by many. May our late brother in pan RIP.

919519131?profile=RESIZE_710x

NIU Clifford Alexis (right) chats to pan tuner Malamo Joseph (2nd left) (Southern Marines Steelband Foundation) and friend at the World Steelband Music Festival 2000, Jean Pierre Complex, Woodbrook, Port of Spain, Trinidad, TT.

The NIU Steel Band placed 2nd in the competition.

Photo: tobagojo@gmail.com - 18 October 2000

• I went to St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1984 to ask Cliff to teach me how to build pans and followed him the next year to DeKalb, Illinois when he took the job at NIU. It took two years before I felt that Cliff trusted me, but then he became a loyal friend for life. That steadfast loyalty to his friends, combined with a little bit of badjohn, helped Cliff to achieve great things. He was a unique person who bridged the real culture of the panmen with the world of academia, and he gave everything everything he had to his art form and to his students, who are his greatest legacy. Rest in peace, Cliff Alexis, my mentor and friend.

-Shannon Dudley
  • Another great contributor has left us. May his soul rest in peace. Thanks to his family for sharing him with us.

• A panman and a gentleman. May he rest in peace.

This reply was deleted.