The Passing of Wallace Austin (Ace Pan Tuner) R.I.P.

My brother in Trinidad just called and informed me of the passing of Wallace Austin. It is an understatement to simply say we have  lost another great pan tuner. Wallace Austin represented more than just a great pan tuner, but rather an era of greatness in pan. We will not see the likes of him again, they come along just once. Wallace was a personal friend and brother being the principal pan tuner for the early Flamingoes and later Exodus and practically all of the big bands in particular Desperadoes. He will surely be missed by all who have come to know him. Rest In Peace Wallce you certainly did your share and it is indeed, a big contribution.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My condolences to the steel band world and the family of Mr. Wallace Austin, RIP bro

• Rest In Peace my brother. Sad loss to the steelpan and wider communities. Wallace thank you for your priceless contributon to our steelpan artform. Your legacy will always be celebrated!

• The members and myself of Marsicans Steel Orch. Brooklyn, New York extend our condolences to the Austin family. Mr Austin was quite an inspiration in the formation of our band in the early two thousands. He always gave us his best which was the best of the best because he called us his band. RIP Wallace, gone but will never be forgotten

• To The Family Of Walles"Mad Man" Austin, My Bro and Friend. I extend Condolences On His Passing.

The Members Of Golden Harps International Say Farewell.R.I.P

• Hi Hazel, I couldn't agree with you more. May my friend Wallace rest in peace. What a lost for the rest of us.

What ever happened to Ju Ju from Woodruff?  aka: Curly!

• Condolences to the Wallace Family and friends R.I.P brother.

• CONDOLONCES FROM THE PRESIDENT OF "QUEBEC STEELPAN MUSIC ASSOCIATION (MONTREAL CANADA) AND"THE PANORAMA "2016" CHAMPIONS "DESPERADOES"TO THE FRIENDS AND FAMILY OF "WALLACE AUSTIN"... "ACE STEELPAN TUNER" WHO PASSED AWAY RECENTLY, MAY GOD STORE HIM AWAY WITHIN THE CONFINES OF HIS SAFEKEEPING.....REST IN PEACE "HERO"!!

• So sadden to learn of Wallace's passing. Such warm memories from Woodruff Avenue in Brooklyn, NY. To me it was a smaller version of the "mecca for pan" with Metro and Umoja Steelbands and the many bands that passed thru Woodruff Avenue -- back then it was PAN DAY & NITE and having Wallace around tuning pans. He was, in my opinion, a warm soul who contributed his very best. I remembered when he tuned my daughter Orisha's pan. He put such patience, care and love into the instrument. We need to have a HALL OF FAME for PAN PIONEERS, arrangers, tuners and iron beaters too. I am sure I'm not the only one thinking along that vein. We desperately need to show more LOVE to these great men of the PAN CULTURE. My deepest condolences to his family from Hazel and Orisha John and not forgetting Bo-dell who now resides in Trinidad as these were the fabulous PAN times we shared.

• "SALAH SAID IT ALL!!... ON BEHALF OF "QUEBEC STEELPAN MUSIC ASSOCIATION" I WOLD TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO EXPRESS OUR SINCERE CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF "PAN TUNER SUPREME"......"MR  WALLACE. AUSTIN" MAY THE LORD STORE HIM AWAY WITHIN THE CONFINES OF HIS "SAFE KEEPING"....R.I.P "HERO".......KNOLLY SMITH....PRESIDENT.

• On behalf of the People of Morvant and Morvant Ebonites(early 60"s) may his soul rest in peace. He tuned for Ebonites for many years

This reply was deleted.