When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

I could make this ah LONG STORY but ah KEEPING IT SHORT ... allyuh should be EATING CALLALOO (I am) to STAVE OFF THE CORONA ...

Views: 429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A few people may know that I always try to KEEP IT SIMPLE on THIS FORUM. But this CORONA CRISIS is forcing my hand both POLITICALLY and PSYCHOLOGICALLY (well ah better say physiologically). So I am going to put up a little quote that explains THIS POSTING ... but ah really don't want to DIG TOO DEEP!!!

I know that most men, including those at ease with the problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives.

L. Tolstoy

Everybody worried about COVID-19 -- but I eh worried.

I went by the ASIAN MARKET (I eh in that LIBERAL LOCK DOWN TING -- EH) today and ah get some FRESH DASHEEN BUSH (dey does call it TARO LEAVES out here and grow it in the CENTRAL VALLEY) and ah BIG DUNGENESS CRAB and some CASSAVA and some EDDOES and some FRESH UNSALTED PIG TAILS -- and ah MAKE AH CALLALOO!!!

So I eh have NO WORRIES -- because about TWO WEEKS AGO ... meh BODY start telling me: Claude, EAT SOME CALLALOO!!! And I am SEVENTY TWO YEARS OLD and I have NEVER HAD A HEADACHE or BEEN SICK -- not even ONE DAY in MY LIFE.  (That is why ah SO MISERABLE -- LOL!!!)

THE WISDOM OF THE BODY ... I have always LISTENED TO IT!!!

Typical DUNGENESS CRAB about 2.2 POUNDS!!!

Image result for dungeness crab images

...Last weekend I made myself ah Trini/American crab and callaloo, substituting the dasheen bush with baby spinach, okra, few slices of pumpkin and some coconut milk to add some thickness, added a popular, flavorful home-made pepper sauce marketed across the US to wake up the digestive system. Baked a salmon with some rosemary toppings to complement the menu,  washed it down with fresh-squeezed orange juice. Doctor asked meh why I don't take flu shots, I told him I drink fresh-squeezed orange juice, a NATURAL source of vitamin C to build the immune system, no flu or coughs here.

Had a visiting relative took some home for her Mom and aunt, I also Indulged myself using the callaloo as an appetizer/callaloo soup throughout the week. Compliments were shared on my attempts in the art of cooking.

I got a call from another sister this morning, she said the callaloo was sustaining and went on to explain all the health benefits from spinach. I told her it was her pepper-sauce that made the difference for me. 

The man with de pepper-sauce is BOSS...

Swallow - Callaloo

"...and some coconut milk to add some thickness...". Buh wha chubble is dis!

Eh Heh?

"Yuh cyar make love without money..." The Mighty Sparrow.

"Yuh cyar make callaloo without coconut milk". Mih Mudda, Mih Tanty, Mih Nenen, Mih Granmudda, Mudda Beartrice, Tanty Constance (about 605 years ah experience talking dey)... LMAO

Nice. I going to cook my callaloo now. :-)

Sweet!

I make some yesterday. I here in Kauai, get some taro leaves, dat I pick from a frien yard,  pumpkin, an some frozen ochro,  ah wanted some pig tail bad bad so, but eh have dat on island. Mi body sing when ah drink dat, didn't even take time to make coo-coo. Ah yes good ,good so good.

My brother cooked carb and callaloo with pigtail over the weekend and I help myself to a plate and also the next day. but not me on this one that Kitchener sang about (Revenge For Trini).

Earl Richards: Ah eat mine for THREE DAYS ... in a ROW!!!

MR. RUSSELL PROVIDENCE: When you are an IMMIGRANT/EXPAT -- this is how YUH DOES GET YUH COCONUT MILK ... to THOSE ON THE ASIAN/PACIFIC COAST ... but as the AFRICAN-AMERICANS say: EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING.

And I put HALF A CAN OF "THIS" in MY CALLALOO!!!

Image result for coconut milk images

...Having to consider the SENIORS in the family and their health challenges, I got everything I needed at Costco and was done in less than two hours...

RSS

© 2020   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service