... readers on THIS FORUM might have gotten the impression from a recent PAN TRINBAGO INTERVIEW that the FIRST STEELBAND at WOODBROOK SECONDARY was relatively recent. And that it was somehow inspired by someone who was PERSONALLY BLESSED BY GOD.

But I was challenged to provide the ACTUAL HISTORY and not the EGOTISTICAL HISTORY.

The word "formed" was tactically used for PERSONAL BENEFIT and EGO PROMOTION. But, in fact, the word "REINTRODUCED" was more historically correct -- especially with the word "formed' coming from a HIGHLY EDUCATED person with a BROAD and EDITED VOCABULARY ... blessed by GOD HIMSELF with NUMEROUS GIFTS!!!

INVADERS STEELBAND was subliminally credited for PROVIDING PANS and "starting" ("FORMING") a STEELBAND at WOODBROOK SECONDARY for a NEW GENERATION OF PAN PLAYERS.

But here is THE HISTORICAL FACT: As far back as 1975 (long before the recent interviewee was born) a teacher -- BRIAN SMART -- now the owner of MUSICAL GEMS formed a band at WOODBROOK SECONDARY with the blessings of  the principal of ST MARYS COLLEGE -- Mr. Attong.

He then approached STARLIFT STEELBAND to assist with some PANS. and STARLIFT asked  a member of the STARLIFT STEELBAND  to assist with some PANS AND TUTORING which also involved some recruiting of students from the school to JOIN THE BAND.

In OCTOBER of 1975 the tutoring started (long before the recent PAN TRINBAGO WITNESS/INTERVIEWEE was born -- I think) and the SCHOOL CHILDREN were eager to go to the  SECOND JUNIOR PANORAMA in 1976.

A STARLIFT PLAYER (if he is still alive and reads this posting -- he can come and IDENTIFY HIMSELF) did THE TUNE (PAN JAM FETE by THE MIGHTY SPARROW) and WON THE FIRST PLACE PRIZE defeating the defending champions ST FRANCOIS GIRLS.

In 1977 WOODBROOK SECONDARY came third playing the KITCHENER SONG  "JAWS".

The INITIAL and PRIMARY ARRANGER then handed over THE BAND to CARY CODRINGTON who took them to PANORAMA IN 1978 which THEY WON ( I think)!!!.

After that THE BAND FOLDED as TOP PLAYERS GRADUATED and MOVED ON. Smart then moved on to teach at SUCCESS VILLAGE LAVENTILLE and the PROGRAM DISSOLVED.

The current MUSIC TEACHER (not born yet) did not even know that WOODBROOK SECONDARY had a successful STEELBAND that even played on THE ROAD for BURROKEETS on CARNIVAL MONDAY 1976.

So I do forgive BEVERLEY RAMSEY-MOORE and her SURROGATE for coming on THIS FORUM and STRUTTING without a GOOD UNDERSTANDING of ACCURATE PAN HISTORY.

WHEN STEEL TALKS is ALL ABOUT ACCURATE AN HISTORY and this is THE PAN GOSPEL according to INDIVIDUALS who LIVED THE PAN DREAM.

Cary Codrington was a TRINITY COLLEGE past student who assisted with TRINITY STUDENTS and WOODBROOK SECONDARY STUDENTS teaming up to form a STEELBAND getting PERMISSION to use THE INVADERS PANS so with TRINITY and WOODBROOK combined they called the BAND WOODTRIN!!!

The aim is to GET THE HISTORY STRAIGHT -- so FEEL FREE to add your TWO CENTS to make sure that WHEN STEEL TALKS DOCUMENTS the ACCURATE HISTORY!!!

My story stands to be corrected!!! My EGO is NOT IN PAN -- as most people should know by now. I will continue to fine tune this report in the INTEREST OF PAN HISTORY!!!!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Claude.

I like your history lesson.   Too often ppl gather to discuss pan history and end up having differences of opinion bcuz of hear say.  The younger ones coming up should understand the importance of getting the facts straight from the beginning. 

Hopefully we will not have a repeat of the ongoing saga of which Island had the first pan... band... panorama... music. 

Brenda H.

This reply was deleted.