They are always preaching (and preaching) about PAN PLAYERS and MUSIC EDUCATION. So now you have a young woman who played the PAN and then went and got ALL THE MUSIC EDUCATION in the WORLD and now she comes back to arrange for a STEELBAND (with all that musical knowledge) and they leave her out of the finals.

Bad optics! Bad politics! Counter to what is being preached!

On PRINCIPLE: Mia should have been put into the FINALS.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yuh right Claude! On finals night lie down on the stage and tell the judges yuh eh movin' until dey put Birdsong in the finals! I wanted the Tobago band to make the finals too, just BECAUSE dey the only big band that had the BALLS to boycott the panorama!

• I would be happy to see Mia Gormandy in the finals, but the judges did their job. They judged the music they heard in accordance with specified judging criteria and not who the arranger is.

• Well, I have MIA GORMANDY pegged to be the FIRST GLOBAL AMBASSADOR FOR PAN from Trinidad. So I say: Put her on every stage in Trinidad whenever you have the opportunity -- like PANORAMA FINALS!!!

And since when is PANORAMA JUDGING the paragon of equity?

• She's gonna earn her place, it's her first panorama. It's gonna be a learning experience. Job well done Mia!
  • Boogsie Sharpe is the only arranger who plays a tune outside the norm that get's respect from the judges. The judging to me was fair but I feel bad for Fonclaire and Ken Professor Philmore because the band had to wait till after 2am to beat and by that time the stands were half empty and to add fuel to that they didn't get to their panyard in Sando till  after 6am and found out that they didn't make the cut.     

• I listened to the band but lets face it compared to the others she lacked power meaning they needed more players to push the music either that or she need a boost in her rhythm whatever it is surely she needed more power.....

• MIA? Mieaaaw? Then the South bands that were left out can also cry FOUL! ... Lol!

• FAST TRACK your RISING STARS!!! Don't put them in a queue and tell them to WAIT THEIR TURN!!!

• Claude...behave yuh self let people like yuh nah?...So I could find that Merry Tones should be in the Small Band finals too after we "bun dong" the savannah at midday yesterday...but the fact is we get licks...plain and simple...regardless how much our players, supporters and even me might be lil disappointed...We have to dust off we pants and move on...Mia and birdsong and You too...

• Yes but rising stars must be fast tracked on the merits of their works sir!

This reply was deleted.