Third World lead singer Bunny Rugs is dead

Jamaica Gleaner

WESTERN BUREAU:
Lead singer of the iconic reggae band, Third World, William 'Bunny Rugs' Clarke is dead.

Clarke, who would have turned 66 this Thursday, February 6, passed away last night in a hospital in Orlando, Florida.

He had been diagnosed with cancer and had been battling the disease in intensive care.

It is reported that because of health problems, he missed some of the shows in Third World's 40th anniversary tour in 2013.

Clarke, who has helped to shape the history of reggae, has spent the past 31 years with Third World.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Safe passage my brother . you will be missed on this side, but the journey continues . my condolence to friends and family.

• Condolence to the family (Barbados All Stars)

• Greetings I first met Rugs in Poughkeepsie and he purchased several of my books. I then went on a limited tour following them tru Conn and  Upstate NY and Mass. He was  really a true bredren. He will be missed by others. Dr. Lance

• Ancestors.    "Try Jah Love" is Written by Stevie Wonder for the "Reggae Ambassadors - Third World."   For those who say pan needs to follow the Jamaican example to become powerful in the music world - here is a successful model.   A song written by an African American and sung and played by African Jamaicans and produced by African Jamaicans.

• Hi Yvette;

As you may already know Stevie also co wrote - “You’re Playing Us Too Close,” with Third World. It is one of our all time favorites. Rumors have it, that it was suppose to have gone on Stevie's album - but that never happened. It was a song that was very special considering all that was going on in the world at the time.

Stevie Wonder thought that Rugs was an awesome musician and singer.

Rugs was a special person to us at Basement and WST. He was always positive and supportive of our ideas

• One of the best! RIP Bunny Rugs. Long live the music.

• Try Jah Love! Memories!

• RIP brother Rugs ...thanks for the music...

• RIP Rugs!! Catch you on the other side of midnight.

WST

This reply was deleted.