Tillillie

What does Tillillie mean? I am of course referencing the Kitchener tune "Old Lady Walk a Mile and A Half".

Any help would be appreciated. I did an arrangement of the tune for my steel band and I want to be able to tell the audience about origin of Tillillie.

Thanks!
Dave

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Panman Pat a respected author, steelpan player/calypsonian say! Ole lady walk ah mile and ah half "IN she Tay, lay, lay.

meaning her dan dan made out of Tay,lay, lay cloth. 

• it is funny how people re invent language, I know English has been re- invented many times, although I see it as a colloquail expression of various languages, and how sometimes people try to correct people especially in the states ts it toe-maa-toe or tooe -may-tooe either ways if somebody wants a slice just give them one if you know what they mean, Feel no how lady razoun I thought it meant shake also, maybe that was what he intended, Hameed were you trying to spell obb-zockee your spelling looks like a bajan version.Sorry about straying from the topic but I wouldnt like to be a panorama judge the results is just what it is a collection of the points and not opinions, I am sure if it was done by simple votes the results might be different, if you gave 7 people paradise plumm 5 might like it if they from the islands if the remaining 2 from the states they might find it too sweet and if the have to mark it might score it in a sale of 1-100 sixty something, but given liccorice they might score 100 each the island people may not like liccorice but some may try to appreciate it, and score it in the eighties, whilst they like paradise plumm it may not be as good as it was in the old days so they may score it in the 90's  even though paradise plumm is the judges choice licorice might win on points depenmding on the allocation of the points, people ignore the maths and take it to mean that the judges like the winner and slam the poor judges
  • I am hoing that Mr Gerhart dont get "Bazoodee" and "Kil Kay Tay" while trying explain to his audience, certain words of our " Orbzorke Trini language". KITCH is my most favourite calypsoian, and Composer. Kitch sang Winston Spree started steelpan, which was not true, kitch said he heard a voice in the cemetary and took off with a zoom zoom zoom, made the whole world shake!!!!  Kitch said mazicans are coming from Mars to be part of Panorama. Kitch maybe meant the old lady felt great after walking and expressed her self. Like Cambou lay, lay, lay ,lay ,lay lay cambou lay......
    • Thank you for this discussion. i have asked lots of people about this and we thought it meant she shake her tail or something like that. It is a great song - I have a very old recording of it on a Rounder cd with a violin and string band playing it.
      • Tell me more about this recording. I would be interested in checking it out. Thanks!
        • It's on "Calypso Pioneers 1912 - 1937", Rounder CD 1039, issued 1989, track 4. It is Monrose's String Orchestra recorded in 1923 entitled "Old Lady,Old Lady". It is a bit different harmonically to the version I know from various Trini's who came over in the 1950s, but definitely the same song and a great CD to have with lots of lovely old tunes on, including one of my favourites - "Graf Zeppelin" by Atilla. 

I asked a 2nd generation Trini what Tay lay lay meant last week and he said he had no idea!

• oh gawd oh gawd (ie god) correction Dave it is tay lay lay, there is no i in tay or lay, as a fella asked one American to another in a sitcom about spelling "how many A's is in Tom one or two) "you dealing here with a lot of Trinis learn English" just reversing the fatigue, pulling your leg,(teasing lol) anyways getting serious I am sure there is a video with Kitch , explaining the song look it up, but the old people say Tay lay lay is either old cloth sewn together to make clothes or falling down like kill kay tay it may have been derived from our African or carib heritage, any way it was his first calypso and he was only 11 and it was made to tease his school mate Holly
  • There's differing opinions on this.  Some say that it has to do with the dress and the fabric she wore.  According to "Cote ci Cote la" "Taillele" comes from the French word "taille" meaning fashion, shapely.  Well-fitting, fashionable clothes.  Dressed in the latest style.  It's also used to mean "physical exhaustion."
  • My 80 year old mom said that Tay Lay, lay  was a type of material with different paterns, mostly use by the poorer class to make, sheets, table clothes, even dresses etc.. She said that poor people were very proud with what they had. I ask her if "tay,lay, lay" and "kil, kay, tay" ment the same she replied nah man, the old lady did not fall down, she was fatigue... lol
  • Thank you all very much! This information is really appreciated.
This reply was deleted.