Canada - "Time to say goodbye. Trinidad is not interested so I donated my entire collection of calypso, steelpan, combo, chutney, big band, rapso, Christmas, parang, Caribbean soul... music from 1912 to 1989. Over 5,000 records to a foreign institution that promised to preserve, document, and digitize the music. This is the first set of boxes ready to be shipped.

"Records formats are LP's, EP's, 10", picture sleeves, and 78's. The next shipment is set to go next week. 50 more boxes to packaged"

"...loved the idea and took my proposal his culture minister refused to acknowledge it, COP: only talk, UNC: Gypsy as culture minister said his hands were tied to even bring it to Cabinet. I had a meeting with TUCO 4 years ago and up to now no word from them. I tried with the THA... nothing. I tried with all major companies in T&T and nothing. Same with NALIS... nothing. So, what can I say! I cannot burden my kids with it when I am gone."

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Re: Top 100 Calypsos of the 20th Century

http://www.tntisland.com/gm100calypsos20thcentury.pdf

• This is the continuation of a sad story. There have been others. And some collections have been lost. Meanwhile, WE cannot even carry on a sustained conversation about museums for our culture.
    The only good thing is that the collection is safe and will be available to the world and future generations.
    For that I say - THANK YOU GEORGE.
    Kelvin

• LoopTTnews October 23, 2020

“I went to school in New York and they ask what is my culture and I said Divali and the Indians laughed at me. I had brought Sparrow album to the US with me and I went the next week and said my culture is calypso. I always thought calypso was the greatest thing to happen in Trinidad because anytime you meet anybody and they ask where you from and you say Trinidad they would say the land of calypso. I took it upon myself to collect calypso albums and became of the world‘s largest collectors of calypso,” he said.

Collector Donates Massive Calypso Archive

• Some very interesting and PREDICTABLE responses to MR. MAHARAJ on his FACEBOOK PAGE ...

So sad when our beautiful multicultural country doesn't want to preserve and promote our cultural traditions because corruption and "eat ah food" mentality is more important. Kudos to the preservers.
    I can't blame you sir, don't cast your pearls to swine. Give it to those who will cherish and appreciate it!
    I guess if you were of another ethnic background 👀
    Why do you people believe that this gentleman is the only collector of our music? Without any information, allyuh just jump on the bashing bandwagon. If you all check with TUCO, WACK, Crosby Record shop, Charlie's record shop and so many others and you will find music from as far back as 1920. Without information, a people could perish, and it's a pity that so many of you don't have the true information but complaining.
    Who cares do what you want with your stuff what the hell the government have to with that
    to Ian R Joseph
    who is that man
    to Morris James
    Who Cares?

To Ian R Joseph
    we all wanna know

• This sentence really got my attention: "Maharaj, 71, said he took the decision to donate his collection since he is getting older and does not want to run the risk of his children giving it away when he dies."

• What a shame, but hardly surprising.

This reply was deleted.