Vancouver Is Awesome

The Trinidad Moonlighters performed at the exhibition’s closing event May 21.
The Trinidad Moonlighters performed at the exhibition’s closing event May 21

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - On Sunday afternoon crowds gathered at The Polygon to bid farewell to a photographic exhibition that celebrated Black life, with free-flowing wine, plenty of food and a performance from steelpan band The Trinidad Moonlighters.

The steelband is at the centre of a new publication to be launched by the gallery: Parallels 03: The Moonlighters, a vibrant booklet featuring texts by writer, urban and human geographer Joy Russell that delves into the origin and history of the group of musicians that thrived on the North Shore in the 70s and 80s.

....Written like a poetic essay, the booklet traverses the band’s history with colourful detail. It describes how the Trinidad Moonlighters Steel Band had started in Vancouver in 1958, comprising students from Trinidad who were in town to study at the University of British Columbia.

....On Sunday, the band, made up of all of its original members, played for a crowd together for the first time in over ten years.

See more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The people in the pic are not the original members, except for Aga Khan ( in glasses). If anybody is interested in the history of the Moonlighters, contact me at 868- 683- 6944, phone or What’s App.

Lawford Dupres

• MR. DUPRES: Whensteeltalks is a repository for STEELBAND INFORMATION (Notice I did not say STEELPAN INFORMATION because that word in not in my vocabulary). So please post your report/response RIGHT HERE ON WHENSTEELTALKS.

At least one person will read it joyously -- ME!!!

This reply was deleted.