This Ohio State marching Band video of "Michael Jackson Tribute" generated well over two million views in 2 days. There are many, many similarities between the marching bands (church drum and bugle corp) and the steelbands of the last century. From Earth Wind and Fire to many of the great calypsonians and arrangers -  the drum and bugle corp was (and still is) the only way generations of poor black people had free access to music instruments. The marching bands run deep in black music and dance traditions.

Can a steel orchestras generate such interest in the near future?

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For those asking about the marching 'steelband', take a look at these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etuFuRPxVnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGmU-XKuD88

• There are some great video presentation techniques being used. Defense was a massive production, rivalling Panorama.  What if Panorama was filmed using some of the techniques used there?  And some nice work in We Kinda Music too... they were nice to WATCH and HEAR.

I'm not really figuring out how us little independent musicians can make better YouTube videos from this.  I wish some film makers would wade in.

• BTW can someone please forward this "Renegades" video of this concert in Paris to one Jacobs Edgar

Salah

• Ha, Ha, Ha. No need to, Salah. He now stays tuned in to WST's PAN forums.

• Claude,

You asked the initial question. 

Let's assume that the pans are in good tune, and we capture professional quality sound.  Let's not debate whether one sort of pan has superior tuning and nonsense like that, just that the sound is good.

What do you think a pan video should LOOK like when presented on video?  Can pan play anything in the viral video, or is there a particular style you seek?  Are you looking for steel orchestras, or feature performers?  What does a viral pan video look and feel like to you?

• Corey: That is a tough question!!! I went along with the flow of the conversation, but at heart I don't think that you can design a viral video ... too many variables. My model for a pan video is still Andy Narrel's WE KINDA MUSIC. But a viral video will have to have some element of a DOG AND PONY show.

Jeston's idea could be workable since he will have HEAVY VOCALS and if it is done leading up to XMAS it will have emotional currency. In general though, I don't believe in trying to start at the TOP.

This reply was deleted.