We announce the results of USSA Election 2013, Officers and Board of Directors, held Sunday January 13th, 2013 @ 1169 Nostrand Ave. Officiated by Joanelle Donald & Danielle Edinboro.

Keith Marcelle : Chairperson

Martin Douglas : Vice-Chairperson

Claudette Baptiste : Secretary

Matthew Bascombe : Treasurer

Kamau Hutchinson : Director

Travis Roberts : Director

Magnus Scanterbury : Director

Mervyn (Mauby) Rudder : Director

Anthony Joseph : Director

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How about having future pan-a-rama's at the new Barkley Center on Atlantic Avenue (downtown Bklyn)

• Carlton, I don't think the Barkley Center come cheep but it's worth looking into.

• Who nominated these people? Who voted for these people? Why was not tne general pan community notified before the results were in? The only name I see representing the pan community is Mr Keith Marcelle & Mr Anthony Joseph. I may no some of the others by face alone but that's not the point. What happen to Mr Lennox Leverock who use to be on the board?

Suppose I would like to be a board member, What are my options? AkA: Curly. Aka: Tahzann>

• Hi Mr. Munroe. Are you by any chance related to Winston (Cuttie) Munroe? To answer your question, and they are valid ones, USSA has eleven bands in it's membership, Pantonic, Crossfire, Women in Steel, New York Pan Stars, New York Metro Steel, Oasis Youth Steel Orch. (New Jersey), CASYM, Despers USA, Ujamaa Pan Sound Sesame Flyers and Pan Ambassadors. For the election each band submitted a delegate to run for a seat on the Board of Directors, our Board has nine seats those nine people were elected from them, then four Officers were elected from the nine. As I stated our membership is open to individuals with no affiliation to bands and they would be eligible to run for Board seats. Our next election will be January 13th, 2016, you or anyone else can join now work for the organization gain respect, a reputatiion and confidence from the membership. This is my last term I will not be seeking another term, I am hoping the organization can grow enough so we have lots more to choose from, another thing I want to make clear to everyone, having not played a pan in your life does not exclude you from seeking membership our even being elected Chairperson, USSA has to move past those stereotypes ( You have to had played pan or come from pan to hold positions on a steel band association) we need lots of different people, from all walks of life with different life experences. We must develop a very consistent bussiness approach, apply that knowledge and wisdom so it can benefit steelbands. My hope is, what we will accomplish can eventually benefit all steelbands in the NY/NJ area, even those that are not members.

• Good day Mr. MarcelleI

Is there any chance of a New York band taking part in Trinidad's panorama in 2014? And what are your thoughts on an international panorama? Could this be an undertaking that the New Yorkers could someday host?

bugs

• Hi Mr. Bugs

Anything is possible, it would mean planning from now, seek funding and that is the biggest hurdle.

1. Who do we seek the funding from? New york caribbean organizations or business who may have the funds to do such a project don't support pan, and any US business would have to have an ensentive we may not be able to offer for them to get involved, by that I mean they would have to want their product or company get the exposure we can offer, it is worth investigating.
          2. It would have a heffty price tag.( pans, tuner, housing & transportation for personel and instruments, rental of racks while in Trinidad, space to practice and another very important thing, getting the players who can travel and the time off from their school and work. There may be other cost that don't come to mind at this time.

An international panorama is a very good idea, again as far as New York area production we will need all the things I stated that would be needed for the  New York band to go to Trinidad and much, much much more.

One of the things we must do is involve the American public, once they are interested in a project the funding will follow.

What is also needed is a panel of individuals ( with different areas of expertise) sitting together, leaving their egos, bias and hang-ups outside the door for it to work and that has to start now, for both projects.

• Mr. Marcelle It is great to see a pan official who is willing to answer the peoples questions in public. Recently on this forum a Pan Trinbago official ran away after engaging just one WST member. I hope you will not run away if people don't agree with you.

What has been your biggest disappointment these past few years as chairman of the NY pan association?

What has been your biggest failure?

bugs

• Goodday Mr. Bugs

I have no problem answering questions, responding to questions or have people disagree with me, we are all entitled to our opions sometimes we are wright and sometimes we are wrong. I just what discussions to be respectful and constructive.

My biggest disappointment and biggest failure are both one in the same, at this jointure not being able to bring the pan community together. I fell in love with pan when I was goin to Rosary Boys R.C., my cousin was married to Bertie Marshall when I found out I went to him, at that time I was living Lower Erica Street, for anybody who is familar with Laventille will know it is about a half a block from Bertie's home and Highlanders pan yard, when he found out who I was he used to allow me to come to his house, I never played pan in Trinidad, because of you Bertie was, my father refused to even thing about me playing pan, so I use to sneak after school our any other chance I got, then as I got a litter older my father let up a bit and let me go out to watch them practice, the cooliest man in steel band at that time for me was Pele, playing six bass spinning his sticks and playing with his shades on in the night, that was it for me loved pan ever since.

1978 in New York Jan Steadman took me to play with a friend of his called Wampa is real name was Junior Jones the band name was Crossfire, not the same Crossfire of today, after panorama that year Wampa asked me to represent the band at a meeting for steelbands behind Kam's Cleaners on Nostrand Ave. I was late when I entered the screaming and cussing that I heard going on got me scared, I was about to leave when I saw "Cuttie" Winston Munroe, so I stayed and what I heard these bandleaders talking about, the hardship and being mistreated by at the time WIADCA's leadership just blew me away, the other thing that was so evident was how easy it was for panmen to turn on the Assocation leadership, since that time I have being tring to somehow work to bring the pan community together, and to this day we are still not together. I have not given up nor will I, what I have done was learn different methodologies to accomplish it and hope that the bandleaders do wake one day soon  and realize they themselves not WIADCA or any other group, is keeping pan down.

I make this statement knowing fully well of all the back-lash to come from it, but I will stand my ground and I am willing to debate(key word debate, not argue) with any one, one on one, twelve on one, any place any time as long as it can bring us together.

• How are you going to choose the players?

• Hi Mr Hinlson

After the panel puts a management team together, that management team must choose an arranger, the management team and the arranger will figure out the make-up of the band, then each NY/NJ band would be asked to submit players based on the need. That is one plan I am sure there may be others, we can explore all possibilites.

This reply was deleted.