Unsponsored bands feel the pinch

Trinidad Guardian

Eighty–year-old Daisy James-Mc­Clean, leader of the Harlem Syn­co­pa­tors Steel Or­ches­tra, sacrificed and saved over the years using her pension money to buy the land where the band is on at Quar­ry Street, Port-of-Spain.

The sub­ven­tion for sin­gle bands from the Min­istry of Com­mu­ni­ty De­vel­op­ment, Cul­ture and the Arts helps im­mense­ly as her band is un­spon­sored.

James-Mc­Clean said, how­ev­er, arrangers, tuners and trans­port were ex­pen­sive.

It is this lack of sponsorship that is af­fect­ing her band and its mem­bers who are in need of in­stru­ments, the fa­cil­i­ty lacks a water tank, benches, the roof needs extending to protect players and spectators when it rains, and the walls need painting.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Its the second time i am reading this post and NO  ONE COMMENTED,well here we go as a carpenter .mason,and joiner had i been in T&T i would at least given a day or 2 free  of charge to lend a helping hand,,straight up ,,,i had done it twice here in upon my re-migration back to Suriname AFTER LIVING IN from Curacao  for 8 years ,,this is only being done with a clean heart and mind and OBSERVATION,its an Antique Panyard  and i know what it is to make that sacrifice ,,was there ,,done it and am still doing it,fellas we got to leave this world fuh real ,,but before leaving at least we can try to lend a helping hand ,Respect to  everyone ,God Bless.

This reply was deleted.