Virtual steelpan 'Pan Jam' launched

by Loop News

Steelpan was taken to the next level with the launch of Pan Jam, a fully immersive steel pan music platform brought to life by local design agency, Dingole Ltd.

Professional pannist Tevin Shockness, performed the National Anthem on the prototype which was officially unveiled at Soft Box Studios, Alacazar Street, St Clair on April 5.

The prototype’s key features were highlighted, including a tenor pan demonstration played against the virtual setting of a Caribbean island.

Attendees were also treated to a tour of the Virtual Steel Pan Museum, which contains a comprehensive timeline of the birth and evolution of steel pan in Trinidad and Tobago.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Shawn, thanks for taking the time to explain the difference.

• Cecil: The world is closing in on your dreams for the STEELBAND. They just don't need PANS to play PAN anymore. Even me, if I had to set up a STEELBAND for a tour I would use TWO TENORS and ONE DOUBLE SECOND and FOUR E-PANS (with all the bells and whistles attached) to fill out the rest of the ranges.

• Aye Claude, as long as there is a Panorama there will be a need for pans

• For inquiring minds, how is this different to what Mia Gormandy did?

• Hey Cecil. Mia Gormandy's virtual steelpan project is wonderful social platform that connects pannists from all over the world to play together virtually. The panjam project uses virtual reality - a three-dimensional, computer generated environment which can be explored and interacted with by a user. Panjam allows users to browse a virtual museum where they can learn about steelpan history and peruse old iron band instruments. Users can also play a virtual tenor in real time at a secluded island or in a panyard by night setting. The panyard feels very real and is a great way to share with players around the world who have never had the opportunity to visit a real panyard

• Good job . It;s great to see Pan is in safe hands with our young people.

Pan Trinbago please take note.

• Cheers to the young researchers, inventors/ entrepreneurs. Keep going forward

This reply was deleted.