Trinidad and Tobago - With the Trinidad and Tobago 2010 carnival season almost upon us - one of the country’s leading champions of their performing arts and culture, radio station WACK 90.1fm , finds itself the victim of an ironic twist of fate. The upstart station will not be allowed to broadcast over the internet, this season’s major carnival events to the very audience that it has almost single-handedly served, cultivated and captivated with a continuous stream of local music genres like calypso and steelpan music.

click for more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is an unfortunate situation but our laments at this late stage of the game will not undo the situation. Under the circumstances some of us are prepared to subscribe to the pay-per-view. They will decide thier fate for next year by the quality of the receprion, etc.
    In the mean time. we are still trying to figure out how to subscribe. Can you or anyone please provide this info.
    Thankx.
  • Isn't there some way to put something into the feed that will ruin the recording for those who want freebies to sell, but will allow us to hear the performances? As one writer put it - Isn't there some techie out there who can finagle something legal so we who can't come could at least hear pan and see mas'?
  • 'upstart' after 5 years a delivering a product that people enjoy, need and want...'total local' I think upstart ref is an insult.
  • Very upset here in St Petersburg, FL, USA--was so looking forward to Panorama. Cannot afford a plane ticket, and cannot even afford to pay-per-view. Guess I am just out of luck ! I sure like the idea someone below mentioned--yearly subscription to support WACK. Thanks WST for all you do.
  • Here in the U.S. we are in the midst of an attempted power-grab by our President and Congress. This power-grab by the STATE CONTROLLED MEDIA in TnT smells the same. We all need to make noise, people. Boycott the pay-per-view. Huzzas to WACK 90.1
  • Unbelievable! WACK broadcast our music through out the year. If it's about money they could have offered them a PaY-Per- View Deal.
    • And I would gladly pay for it too.

Thank you WACK for the Semis.
      Thank you WST
      Blssed Love to the family
  • Our culture is still in need of all the exposure it can get, yet we continue to be short sighted and narrow minded in the pursuit of short term profit.

Depriving WACK FM from streaming a live internet feed may make some short term business sense (which I doubt) but at the cost of less exposure to our culture

Unfortunately WACK FM is a victim of this.

Anyway, thank you, Wack.

Sitting in my basement on a cold winter's day, sipping on Hennessy, watching the Boston Celtics on the tube and listening to Panorama Semis on WACK FM.

Listening to all that Trini ole talk between the band performances.

Nothing better

Except being in the Big Yard for the Panorama.

Thanks, WACK FM.

I'll miss you all for the finals.
  • What a shame!
  • As one who regularly tunes in to WACK-FM, I certainly sympathize with Bro. Phillip and would have hoped that he would have been consulted and offered the opportunity to bid for the STREAM. However, the decision to charge for these events is the right one. We must stop giving away our colture. I have no problem paying for the programs,just as I did with JUMP TV a few years ago. I just hope that PAN TRINBAGO shares equally in this venture. I will be tuning in and paying my fair share.
This reply was deleted.