Replies

• my name is lionel scholten i am from ARUBA i play the tenor pan ,A lead witch is build by panyard U.S.A. and i play pan for more than 40 years, GOD BLESS YOU ALL
    • Hi Anthony,
      Great to have you onboard.

WST
  • Hey Y'all

My name is Calixtus Dalson from St. Lucia, and I've been playing pan from 1993, at Entrepot Secondary school. I later joined Diamond Steel Orchestra, and went over to the North Stars Steel Orchestra soon after. I've always been too busy with work to play with my band when they travel to Trinidad for carnival, but I'm gonna surprise a lot of folk soon, lol!!! I play the tenor, but would like to try the bass out sometime...guitars too!!! Thanks to alla you who are motivating the pan players, and trying to keep pan going. Madd Luv!!!
    • Hi Calixtus

Great having you on board. How are you doing after hurricane Tomas?

Pan Times
  • this is sweet eustace(aka the bard apple) south or southy to phase II peeps(boogsie used to call me "fatboouy" LOL) apples to the rest,I learn to walk, to talk , to read an write, and play pan, whenever I got the chance I woul leave the marble game to play mout band with two sticks round the house, they get fed up a mih when I was working Texaco as an operator as soon as i get a lil free time I would draw a pan on a piece a paper and take a coast, now I make pan, I teach pan, I arrange pan, Ieat breathe, think pan, here is a verse " ah wake up in the morning is pan
    Ah go to bed in the evening is pan
    every where I turn something I can't disown
    Pan is in mih spirit in my soul and my anatonomy
    what would I have been if you weren't on my scene
    Pan pan pan pan pan
    just dambllaying a lil verse, to add to a chourus that was written by the late Great Clive Bradley called "pan pan pan" with all good intentions he wanted to finish it, I promised to give him a copy but he died before he got it and had left the original by his brother's house, and could not remember it, i have a copy, here are some of the words he started "pan leh we go for a walk, Pan is time that we had a talk........." I will post it soon
  • GREETINGS FROM ARUBA,MY NAME IS LIONEL SCHOLTEN AND I PLAY THE A LEAD PAN ,GOD BLESS YOU ALL
  • I first heard pan on a trip to the islands in 1958. I fell in love with it and started to read all I could find ablut it. I became very interested in Ellie Mannette. On a trip to Trinidad ablut 12 yeasr ago I had a pan made and brought it back to the US. I started lessons from a local player and my grandkids loved it so on four succeeding trips to Trinidad I had more pans made by Ronald Matthews. We now have three tenor pans and a set of double guitars. The kids are great but at 75 my playing leave a lot to be desired but I love it. I have a library of several hundred pan pieces by various artista and groups.
  • Hi my name is Tessa Jones and I have been playing the steelpan instrument from the age of 9. I am now in my early thirties and I still enjoy everything and anything that deals with the instrument. My father Desmond "Mappo" Richardson is a world renowned steel pan tuner that has tuned for the likes of Potential, Chord Masters, Renegades and Pamberi among numerous other bands. I have Taught the art of playing steelpan in both Trinidad and tobago and New York locations. I have since retired from teaching the instrument and trying a new career path.

Currently i am in the process of writing a screenplay abouttrinidad and tobago with the steelpan playing a major role in showcasing the country and it's many beautiul aspects.

Hopefully I can use this website as a point of reference in gaining some much needed information. Thanks for having a centralized steelpan site.

Tessa
    • Hi Tessa,

Welcome to WST, it's very encouraging to know that you're taking on such a huge challenge because I'm sure you will succeed. A few years ago Mappo touched up a lead Pan at your place that I purchased for my wife; that Pan is still in tune even after being played in a Panorama...In fact, I was just playing one of my Gospelypso compositions on it.

Keep up the good work!

GP
  • I AM FROM TOBAGO///// I AM NOT A CRAZY FAN, BUT HE IS VERY GOOD
This reply was deleted.