Replies

• Sorry folks didn't realize this thing went through three times
  • Folks I think that the reason fof the reduced number of bands coming out of south is simple,if players are not seeing favorable results then there is little encouragement,after you stay practicing in yuh yard till all odd hours and still yuh cah make ah final for in south we always here that yuh have to practice,practice,practice so with ever passing year they carrying sessions longer and longer. And still no change in results this could really affect moral ,so if opportunity presents itself and you get a chance to play with a band that have a real shot at winning you gone, no question about that,let's be real folks which player does not want to experience a rama win (I do) is only due to having to drive down de h/way at wee hours after practice why I ant gone north yet
  • Folks I think that the reason fof the reduced number of bands coming out of south is simple,if players are not seeing favorable results then there is little encouragement,after you stay practicing in yuh yard till all odd hours and still yuh cah make ah final for in south we always here that yuh have to practice,practice,practice so with ever passing year they carrying sessions longer and longer. And still no change in results this could really affect moral ,so if opportunity presents itself and you get a chance to play with a band that have a real shot at winning you gone, no question about that,let's be real folks which player does not want to experience a rama win (I do) is only due to having to drive down de h/way at wee hours after practice why I ant gone north yet
  • The question of better arrangers existing in the north is not valid because I know when the boss himself clive Bradley arranged for. Deltones and panosonnic connection with no difference in result,I also know when Jit Samaroo arranged for tornadoes and lee chung pan glow,even this year the arranger for the band from la bra was not from south
    :- result, no big improvement to talk about maybe the management of bands in south need to rethink there approach to the whole panorama issue of north vs south for when bands have to go from south or even deep south to perform at competitive level it does affect the players,I remember when the rama was held in skinner park back in 2k7 and all the issues surrounding bands from north coming south,and this was mainly due to the fact that they all that just making that trip with all the issues surrounding pans,racks,trucks,players,bus could make the difference between players performing at there best and players just performing,I know of occasions when bands from south had to deal with racks and instruments that were damaged during transport to pos,one year skiffle's float axle was damaged beyound repair after the trip from south and they had to borrow renegades small float and make do so you see south bands are never on the same level when they perform in north
    • Sheldon you brought up a valid point about the players having to unload their racks and instruments then going to play, the players that do not have to do this have a slight edge. Pan Trinbago should supply people to assist bands that come from far. About the arrangers  the north just have more.

• One can only assume the Pan never took root in south as much as it did in the north. We all agree that talent could come from and part of the country but yet we see arrangers are mainly from the north, we are not saying that south aint have any arrangers. As for the tuners, a lot of the better ones are from outside POS. Pan is now experiencing a changing of the guard, we are seeing a wave of new arrangers, tuners and players from all over T&T and the world  who is ready and capable of taking it to the next level, what is missing is a World Governing Body.

• "One can only assume the Pan never took root in south as much as it did in the north".

You don't know what the hell you're talking about, Cecil. I grew up in south and in the fifties sixties and seventies, in the golden age of pan in the road, there was no need to go to town to enjoy pan, and few of us did.

We heard all those "town" bands on the radio.That didn't mean we didn't have bands in south.

There were many steelbands on the road back then and Carnival Tuesday was a constant stream of steel-bands, just like in POS.

Because the media covered mostly Port of Spain doesn't mean that nothing else was happening on the whole island.

I could list many steelbands and pan pioneers from south from that era , but I won't even bother.

If you really care to know, do your own research instead of spouting off on a subject about which you know little.

• Glen you are correct I know very little about what went on in south all I have to show is that the north dominate panorama and most arrangers are from north. It is not my intention to start a north south riot here,  carnival in Port of  Spain is bigger, this could be the reason. also the population.

• There are many reasons why that happens and one of the main reasons are that  JUDGES ARE BIASED. Think of FONCLAIR and PAN BY STORM then sit and think about what goes wrong. 

When HATTERS won in 1975 a comment was made that it would be the last time that a band form the SOUTH would ever  win the Panorama and the JUDGES and Pan Trinbago has kept that promise ALIVE for whoever said those words

The quantity of bands from the south cannot dictate who wins the Panorama only the QUALITY so that is an inane reason.

This reply was deleted.