What’s in budget for panmen?

Trinidad Guardian

What can panmen look forward to in Budget 2012 when it’s read in Parliament on Monday? An increase in Panorama 2012 prize money? A decrease? The completion of their headquarters as promised by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar? Now, let’s get one thing clear; Kamla didn’t promise any prize increase, only the building of the headquarters at Orange Grove, Trincity. This frame of shame has long been an eyesore on the Churchill Roosevelt Highway, and an insult to pan people in terms of its expenditure of a reported $3.7 million. Will there be a re-instatement of the full stipend of $1,000 to pannists after Panorama C2K12? This year panmen had to settle for $800 from the Government coffers, with Pan Trinbago taking up the slack. The cutback of the stipend by Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism Winston “Gypsy” Peters caused much anxiety and ill-will among panmen, resulting in a call to boycott Panorama 2011.

click for full story

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• From what I've read in recent news there will be no increase in prize monies for Carnival 2012. Therefore I am definitely not holding my breath for much positive feedback from this 2012 Budget concerning pan and by extension carnival in this upcoming year.
This reply was deleted.