WHERE ARE THE EAST INDIANS IN PAN TODAY?

This question was asked by another member in a discussion, I found it to be a good question so I am putting it out to all.

Kurt Allen said that he is going to tackle RACE in his next song, another member mention that if PanTrinbago had East Indians and Serians in it  the Headquarters would have long been finished.

I think the time has come to put the RACE card on the table, I know when Trini have to deal with this topic they close up like "tee-ma-wee" but lets get it out of the way.

If I had to answer this question off the bat I would say that other cultures realize that there is no money to be made from it, plus they have leaders telling them it is better to beat the books. but nobody ask meh so I"ll just  shut meh mouth.

This could be contributing factor in the downward spiral of the Steelband.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It should also be noted that at no time in the history carnival there have been more involvment of Indian women like the present, this help to make carnival the mega business for mas bands it is today.

• sometimes I dont understand what you guys are saying in the  40's and early 50's blacks owned all the businesses in tnt

TAILORS, SHOEMAKERS, TINSMITHS, CABINET MAKERS, CAPINTERS, Waw Wae "playway" and a host of other small businesses we owned a large racing pool . WHAT happened when and how did things change, during that time eastindians were extracting the sugarcanes. how about dat folks

• Aldwyn, I think I might be able to help you with the when and how things change. During the time the Indians were extracting the sugarcane they were sending their children abroad to study, those children came back to T&T as doctors, lawyers and other professional people, maybe you could tell us what happen to the black tinsmith, shoemaker and tailors. 

• Where are the Africans in Central? http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Rape__incest_rampant_in_Central...

Should I assume that ALL "Trinis" (who look like Indians from India) in Central are rapists and pedophiles? Should you assume all "Trinis" (who look like Africans from Africa) in Laventille, Beetham and Sea Lots are murderers and gang members? Can you see how that works? END RACIAL PROFILING!!!

GHOST.

• First of all there are no "East Indians" in our country! Let's drop the colonial errors. From what geographical sites in the urban areas of TT did Pan emerge? Who occupied those sites?  I do not know it has anything to do with money. I do not see culture as a Race matter.  Pan is a community thing arising from social degradation. Pan served as a coping mechanism to the disenfranchised and degraded urban poor. There were not, at that time, as many Indian Caribbeans  behind the bridge, or George Street or Newtown,  as there were people of African descent. When Indian Trinidadians became engaged in Pan culture, even in small numbers, they have given their best to it, for example the Samaroo brothers. Afrocentric possession of our culture is historically understandable, but sometimes it can isolate others, both intentionally and unintentionally.

• And many others beside Jit and clan.  Well said.  People tend to forget that Indo (and I hate these terms , but for the purpose of this article they must apply) Trinis did as much as they could for the pan movement, even though a lot of the time they worked in the background, and those who did sometimes did so knowing they would be chastised by other Indo Trinis and/or rejected by Afro Trinis. 

When we stop thinking of ourselves as Indo or Afro and think only of us being Trinidadian then we would have accomplished what so many have been trying for so long to accomplish.  Of course since we are of different peoples we brought with us from India and Africa those things, including our music, that we traditionally knew.  The culture of "one" people develops over time and we in addition to inherited cultures had to deal with the colonialism issue which tried to dampen and outlaw the traditions we brought with us as well as the instrument we invented.  We took some time before both cultures began to fuse themselves and morph into a T&T culture and into the national consciousness.  We all enjoy and participate in all of our festivals, be they Afro or Indo.   

Let us not forget the words of Sapna - one of the seasons best "pan tunes" and spread the love :

"The rhythm they join together

Creating a marriage of culture

The music ready to explode

Spreading love through Trinbago"

• Kathleen I see my self as both: A Trinidadian of African descent (culture, heritage, etc.) Why would you have a problem with that? So, as "Trinis" we should give up our past? Should I force my US born kids to not consider themselves Trini-Americans, and only Americans, and forget their past cultures? I ensured that my kids are proud of ALL of the components that make them who they are! Period. Finally, PLEASE provide the evidence as to your claims of the numerous "Trinis" of Indian descent (do you hate that as well?) that contributed to the steelband movement, i.e. who, when, where, what they did, where we can find the proof of your claims, etc. Again, believe what you wish, but the EVIDENCE shows that "Trinis" of Indian descent were NEVER any major part of the steelbands, from the early days up to the present time. And that fact is also captured in photos and film for ALL to see. Sorry; I too wish they were more involved, as I openly stated previously. And, I really would like to see more "Trinis" who look "white" (European) living in Beetham Estate and Bagatelle, before I buy into the "all ah we is one family" bogus lie. We are not, and as a "Black" "Trini" of African ancestry, I KNOW and EXPERIENCED that for a FACT. I knew the society treated me differently from as early as ten years old. Remember, I went to college and had rich, "White" classmates. And I saw how shade of skin mattered. WHO FEELS IT; KNOWS IT!!! Hotep (Peace).

GHOST.

• Ghost,

I really think you missed my point. I'm a Trinidadian first.  I, like a lot of Trinidadians have several different ethnic groups in my family - African, East Indian, Indonesian, Caucasian and Lord knows what else.  Am I supposed to deny this fact?  I'm a black strong Trini/Caribbean woman.  I learnt the hard way from my "black american brothers and sisters" that we as Africans are not all black.  I was told back in 1975 by black americans that Caribbean blacks were not really black.  Last time I looked I thought we were !!!   I also have American born children in my family and we teach them not just the American way culturally but also expose them to our Trini/Caribbean culture.  A person who travels and learns about other cultures has a much better understanding of the world and how it works.

I certainly do not have a problem with you and how you define yourself.  I NEVER said that we should give up our past, it has made us who we are.  I'm not saying we should forget our ancestral cultures.  As I mentioned, enslavement and colonialism tried to take that away from us.  They took our drums and our music because they were threatened by our ability to communicate without words.  They destroyed our families and tore children from their parents in order to break and conquer us.  I simply was pointing out the fact that when various peoples come together, over a period of time, the way we as Africans and East indians did, a new culture is almost guaranteed to be developed. 

I NEVER stated that East Indians played a major role when it came to steelbands.  African families had problems allowing their children to be around the pan so I can just imagine what a little Indian boy would have faced.  Some of them did try to become involved but there's a distinction between a major role and being on the peripheral of the pan movement which is where most of the few who dared were. My father, a black man, told me that there was a room for me in St. Anns when at age 14 I asked to join a band and learn to play pan.

We will always have racism and intolerance in this world -  I do not live with blinders on.  The first time someone called me the "N" word, I was in Florida in the US, so I also know what it's like to have someone try to diminish me as a human being.  I endured a lot of crap from Americans at large both white and black.  Having to teach my children about the evil that racism can do to demoralize and belittle them is no easy feat but it has to be done.  We've taught them how to love and respect themselves and build strong characters in spite of the fact that others don't see them for who they are but hate them because of the color of their skin.  Remember that even within the black community there are distinctions made - we are just as guilty sometimes. 

I'm not saying that we must create a Utopia in T&T, that's impossible to do but with some tolerance we can live and let live.  Hopefully, we can move forward and try building a better society for the generations to come.      

• Kathleen, I am with you here. Well said.

• Kathleen, how come all races except the Afro seem to be prospering in the land of LOVE?

This reply was deleted.