Where’s the lyrical artistry in soca?

Newsday Feb 8,2019

Each generation reflects where we are in society, he [David Rudder] said. Recalling that he had come up as a calypsonian in the tradition of Zandolie and Kitchener, the “Lyrics Man” said working with 2016-18 Soca Monarch Voice showed him that young writers see rhyme and lyrics differently from the older generation of calypsonians. He and Voice have a 2019 release called Madness.

Read More

Very interesting discussion.

I bought and read this book (Kaiso! The Trinidad Calypso: a study of the calypso as oral literature [Keith Q. Warner] way back in the EIGHTIES and in the book Dr. Warner predicted that the role of Calypso in society will contract greatly because of the proliferation of news media outlets and the advancement of literacy in the society and the introduction of technology. And you know that sometimes you read certain things and you just know that it is WISDOM.

So I expected  this change to come about; yet TRINIDAD is still CALYPSO.

But musical genres evolve: You listen to some COUNTRY MUSIC now and you are not sure if it is ROCK AND ROLL or COUNTRY.

To all the PAN LOVERS out there: Don't you think that little groups of PAN COGNOSCENTI should be gathering from time to time and place to place and putting PAN in a TODAY PERSPECTIVE -- especially with a focus of GLOBAL PAN MUSIC.

MARCUS ASH could spearhead a project like that!!!

CALYPSO and STEELBAND is THE CULTURE OF TRINIDAD!!!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Voice & David Rudder - Madness "2019 Soca" (Trinidad)

This reply was deleted.