When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Who were the Pannist sent to represent T&T at the 1967 Expo World's Fair in Montreal, Canada.

This group was the official home based band in the T&T Pavilion and played daily. Some of the players were Knolly from the Coast Guard, Tobagonian Cesar, Roach, Briathwaite from the Police Services.This group was made up of Government employees for obvious reasons, discipline etc. Does anyone know the other players? Esso Tripoli led by Hugh Borde also appeared.

Views: 843

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Add Winston Maingot to the side.
The group evolved into the Trinidad Playboys in Montreal.  Maybe Salah can parley with some of them to add names to the list...
I think Tommy Critchlow - leader arranger tuner with Pan Masters in Toronto - is one
Tommy Critchlow would have been with Esso Tripoli.

I KNOLLY MODESTE WAS PART OF THE MILITARY BAND SENT TO EXPO 67.FROM THE ARMY ;JAMES ANDREWS,HOLLIS WILSON; HORACE BELGRAVE;JAMES CLARKSON; MICHAEL ROACH;LUTHER CUFFEY; AND MYSELF. FROM THE COAST GUARDS; LEONARD MARSHALL; GEORGE ARNOLD; DAVID WINTERROACH;PEREZ OR JASON THE CALYPSONIAN. FROM THE POLICEGODSON CAESAR; WINSTON MAINGOT; GEORGE ROCHFORD;KENNETH ROACH;ARTHUR HALL; GARNET BROADBELT.THESE WERE ALL THE MEMBERS LED BY ARRANGER ANTONY PROSPECT.

I came to Montreal in 1973, some six years after Expo '67 . However the remnants of that original Expo  '67 group was still here. They had formed a Steelpan group known as "Playboys" and they still exist today. Some of the members of that group include Winston "Skippy" Maingot ,,,who had also turned out to be a prolific calypsonian and song writer in Canada. Michael Roach, Leonard Marshall, Ceasar, Knolly Modeste, James Andrews (Pan Tuner). I understand that these guys were from the Coast guard and other national security Services of T&T at that time...there were some other guys also.. Later on other people joined the "Playboys" including Lloyd Bravo  ( a relative of Boogsie).

I am going to talk with 'Skippy" and get more information or rather ask him to respond to this on WST.

Salah

They were referred to as "The Combined Forces"  - Army, Coast Guard and Police Force. Was James Andrews the Tuner? Just before leaving Trinidad there was a Concert at Queens Hall with the entire contingency of performers, parang side et al and I remember hearing  a beautiful version of "Canadian Sunset" by the Combined Forces Steel Orchestra.
Salah, Lloyd is not related to Boogsie. he lived across the street so he know Boogsie from birth, I lived two houses away.

I stand to be corrected Cecil...( that's what I was told)

Salah

What's up Cecil? Know you well, I lived on Benares, was cousin of  the Baynes. Know Lloyd, Boogsie, Shadow, Claude et al.
I'm good Patrick, when ever I see your name I remember the Ramdoos who lived down the street with the St James health office, are you related? my daughter worked this summer with Dr Bayne.
Our PlayBoys... go  PlayBoys Go...

RSS

© 2020   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service