Ace panist and arranger Duvone Stewart says

After watching BET AWARDS i must say BIG BIG THUMBS UP TO JAMAICA and its MUSIC, REGGAE/DANCEHALL , that is why i would always keep saying IF STEELPAN AND CALYPSO/SOCA WAS A JAMAICAN INVENTION AND CREATION, IT WOULD OF BEEN BETTER OFF THAN IT IS NOW. REALTALK

What do you think?

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It  would  be  interesting to  have a  CD produced  featuring 50 years  of Panorama Winners. Pan Trinbago should look at the  posibility  of  implementing  and  colaborating  with businesses, steel orchaestras and corporations to have this as a sponsored project recognizing the 50 years of Panorama. This will surely be a worldwide

collectors item.  

• Just posing such a silly question shows the readiness of so many to discredit the pan. What arseness this is to dig up the middens in search of rearranging Pan's DNA to get a new father. The thing good just how it is and stop playing the arse wondering if somebody else would have done it better than we. Oh  Siht, man stop always looking outside for solutions to our problems!

• Well said Haydn Murray...much ado about nothing...and quite appropriate response too...

• i'm am a proud Jamaican and i can descisivelly say ... that pan is not a Jamaican invention nor would it be better if we had invented it....i think....the success that reggae has had is purelly becaus eof the content ..and what the lyrics and music has meant for the poor people of the world....Pan being an instrument designed and made in a few caribbean country ...has limited its exposure to who can play it or have acess to it....THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH PAN IS ITS AN INSTRUMENT AND NOT A MUSICAL GENRE....its used as a part of musical compositions...and not trully recognized as a genre by many ...only a few.....but the few who do recognize its potential appreciate it and thats trully all that matters ..right?

• YES! T&T should come to some arrangement for Jamaica to market pan as a commercially viable product. Even though pan is the national instrument - as prescribed by law - of T&T it is not respected as such. It is T&T's gift to the world of music but successive governments and privately owned businesses have not made real efforts to capitalize on its potential.

Sad, but very true.

• What wrong with you????...yuh fall and hit yuh head of what???

• Shame on you Duvone, to entertain that thought, Steel Pan has not attain its heights because of the selfishness and ignorance within its fraternity. Not until we understand the through value of our invention, will it attain success. The two of the most important ingredients to reggae success, was simplification and marketing. We have three major problems, the Instruments, the Bands and Panorama. Until we have an innovative governing body that lays down a path for success only then and then will pan achieve greatness. Duvone In case you don't know it was a Trinidadian musician by the name of Merlyn Taitt who migrated to Jamaica and was instrumental in the origination of the Reggae Music.

• Yet when the Big Man question the support for Pan in the Land of Pan, people quick to question his motives...  https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=2534462:Topic:37...  What would happen in Jamaica if they tried to do the same thing, I wonder???  

• Yes 'Orlandosteve', I remember 'Lyn Taitt and the Jets' as an important element when Reggae was being evolved in the late 60s/early 70s.

But what does that have to do with the present discussion? Its about the marketing of Pan! People are claiming that it was some kind of national pride that made Jamaicans invest in and market reggae, not the plain old profit motive, which I think it was.

Investors (Jamaican and otherwise) realised the marketablity of the genre and went in to it to make money -- and they did!

Straight case!

• Recently I Made A Comment Standing By Duvone Concerning This Matter I May Have To Change My Statement Because I Think About It And Came To This Conclusion.The Steelpan Isn't A Singer It,s An Instrument Just Like Any Other Instrument. Pan Has Been Played In Probably  Every Major Concert Hall Throughout The World  Where Else Would You Like It To Go.The Problem Isn't With The Instrument.The Problem Is With Arrangers.Take Some Of The Winning Arrangers For Instance Unstoppable At Panorama,Has He Ever Written A Classical Piece For Pan And Take It To Carnegie Hall, Most Of The Music That,s Been Played On Pan Is For Panorama Or Some Body Else's Music,Your Not Gonna Win A Grammy Award Or Any Other Award For Playing Pan It,s What You Play On It,Start Writing Great Music For The Instrument Then I'm Quite Sure It Will Take It's Place Along Side Great Instruments.Boogie Wants Somebody To Do Something For Pan Is It For The Pan Or For The People Who Play It?

This reply was deleted.