When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Would pan be better off if it was a Jamaican invention?

Ace panist and arranger Duvone Stewart says

After watching BET AWARDS i must say BIG BIG THUMBS UP TO JAMAICA and its MUSIC, REGGAE/DANCEHALL , that is why i would always keep saying IF STEELPAN AND CALYPSO/SOCA WAS A JAMAICAN INVENTION AND CREATION, IT WOULD OF BEEN BETTER OFF THAN IT IS NOW. REALTALK

What do you think?

Views: 3051

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely, because when they say national they mean national. In the land of pan there are those who view the invention as the accomplishment of a particular ethnic community and herein lie the root of our problem. As a country we are full of ethnic communities but low on Nationality. So until we get pass the communities stage and reach on the nationality stage not only Pan will suffer, but the country, as we are presently witnessing

Excellent response! In T&T, we are yet to discover the meaning of nationality. Because of our transient nature, everything, including pan, suffers.

Sometimes, we have to blamed ourselves. When last have heard good dance music from the steel bands. A few years ago, we heard Silver Stars and desperadoes with good listening music. These day we only have Panorama competition music played. Because of this we are now playing more of the traditional music bands such as Joey Lewis and music form the Sel Duncan  era for good listening music. It seems as we lost the plot. I am living overseas and I have nothing to present to my Australian listeners.

Sidd, I see and understand your point of view. But answer me this. Should we be sitting back and await these businessmen to invest in our pan or do we invite them to invest? Don't you think we need to broaden our horizons by exporting the pan music and when I say so I mean shouldn't we be sending our pan sides abroad to any country that would have us? The only time and correct me if I'm wrong, we send a band abroad is when that band wins Panorama. We should be sending  AllStars, Phase 11, Despers, Katzenjammers just to name a few, to export not just to show how calypso sounds on pan, but to also show that this instrument could play anything. Remember Liberace's words "I cannot understand how this people can play classical music and cannot read music". As you said, time is running out. What say you?

All of the aforementioned might be true but one of the main reason is that band leaders do not look at this at a business. It's more of an hobby to them than anything else. It's more of a gathering with friends to play pan and drink and have a good time. The moment we start to get serious and treat the bands as a business and come up with a long term plan for the band and start promoting the band and music we will start going somewhere and doors will start opening for us. Until then no one will take us seriously, not even our own. 

We have to take onto consideration that T&T is the only country on this planet who has a full family of instruments other than the conventional ones, it is just that we don't know how to use them yet. Plus I don't think that we are aware of what we have.

A good place to start promoting the pan is every song that is composed for panorama should have full accompaniment by pan, lets prove that the pan could really play anything.

Another thing that can help Pan, is every Company, Carib. Coco cola, Pepsi, kentucky fry etc, should invest a %  of their profit into pan (mandatory)  

Do you want to legislate that, Bede?

Might be a good idea Claude, all these companies making all that money, let all of them contribute to our musical instrument, "THE STEEL PAN"

Anybody who ever compares PAN to REGGAE or anything Jamaican to Trinidadian is GROSSLY MISDIRECTED. Pan is traveling its own road and IT AIN'T GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH REGGAE.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service