When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Would pan be better off if it was a Jamaican invention?

Ace panist and arranger Duvone Stewart says

After watching BET AWARDS i must say BIG BIG THUMBS UP TO JAMAICA and its MUSIC, REGGAE/DANCEHALL , that is why i would always keep saying IF STEELPAN AND CALYPSO/SOCA WAS A JAMAICAN INVENTION AND CREATION, IT WOULD OF BEEN BETTER OFF THAN IT IS NOW. REALTALK

What do you think?

Views: 3095

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'm am a proud Jamaican and i can descisivelly say ... that pan is not a Jamaican invention nor would it be better if we had invented it....i think....the success that reggae has had is purelly becaus eof the content ..and what the lyrics and music has meant for the poor people of the world....Pan being an instrument designed and made in a few caribbean country ...has limited its exposure to who can play it or have acess to it....THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH PAN IS ITS AN INSTRUMENT AND NOT A MUSICAL GENRE....its used as a part of musical compositions...and not trully recognized as a genre by many ...only a few.....but the few who do recognize its potential appreciate it and thats trully all that matters ..right?

Just posing such a silly question shows the readiness of so many to discredit the pan. What arseness this is to dig up the middens in search of rearranging Pan's DNA to get a new father. The thing good just how it is and stop playing the arse wondering if somebody else would have done it better than we. Oh  Siht, man stop always looking outside for solutions to our problems!

Well said Haydn Murray...much ado about nothing...and quite appropriate response too...

It  would  be  interesting to  have a  CD produced  featuring 50 years  of Panorama Winners. Pan Trinbago should look at the  posibility  of  implementing  and  colaborating  with businesses, steel orchaestras and corporations to have this as a sponsored project recognizing the 50 years of Panorama. This will surely be a worldwide

collectors item.  

RSS

© 2020   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service