Rolling Stone by Elias Leight

“Zeze” is funny — I feel like conventional music industry wisdom would tell you not to put a record full of steel drums out in October. Yeah. I don’t remember who I was talking to about that, but I think that all that type of stuff, none of that matters. “Oh, it sounds like a summer record.” It’s like, “yeah, I guess, but it just doesn’t matter because the song’s super hot, you know?”

D.A. Doman Produced Two of the Year’s Biggest Rap Hits — But Doesn’t Want to Give Away His Secrets

Doman used a very similar rhythmic template on Kodak Black’s “Zeze,” featuring Offset and Travis Scott, but also added in a festive spurt of steel drums. If “Taste” was a slow burn, “Zeze” was an immediate eruption: A snippet of the beat, shared on Instagram, sent Black’s followers into a frenzy, and when the rapper released the official version of the track, it quickly became the most-streamed song in the country, earning 47 million listens. That was good for a Number Two debut on the Hot 100; if radio programmers pitch in and the streams stay strong, “Zeze” could well reach Number One next week.  

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So how many people caught this line: "The steel pan just had that Florida Caribbean vibe to it."

You have to be a TRUE CYNIC with a broad sense of concern for PAN PROGRESS to read that whole article and get the "TRUE VALUE" of this line especially in light of recent articles I have seen written on THIS FORUM!!!

The TRINIDADIANS in TRINIDAD will NEVER UNDERSTAND the PAN TING outside of TRINIDAD!!! And it breaks my heart to hear them SPOUTING that "GLOBAL NONSENSE" that they don't even have a CLUE ABOUT!!!

• That sound is clean. Hmmmmm. 

Brenda H.

This reply was deleted.