When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

I was doing some research and came across a post on Craigslist.  Is this the sort of thing typical of American steelbands today?  The text reads:

"Potts & Pans Steelband is looking for black musicians to work with. The group is currently comprised of white and hispanic members, and we have lost numerous gigs due to not having a black person in the group. If you have any musical experience and are up for learning a new instrument (the steelpan aka steel drum) I will give you free lessons. Even if you don't have musical experience, but would like to learn, I'll work with you!"

I personally find this disturbing for many reasons; as a human, as a musician, and as someone who works very hard at my craft.

Am I way out in the depths of space to be bothered by this?

Views: 5009

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ghost, with such a fine article as this, I was prepared to get in trouble with management. These are words we all need to read and hear as much as possible. Thanks Ghost.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if a few names on this particular forum discussion, are fake! people planted to stir trouble, and mislead some gullible participants, which, unfortunately, they managed to do, with a few, who seem unable to think for themselves

CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPS! And MORE CHUUUUUUUUUPS!!!!!! What a buncha SUCKERS! ( and that's being polite!) ghost, de son of god(dard) come out he hole to write some CRAP to bullshit allyuh,after his conversation with De Stealpan store! And allyuh forget what yuh INSTINCT tell yuh! Yuh read de AD wrong! Allyuh make a mistake, eh Bugs? Well, I glad that i will NEVER, EVER, have to buy "mallets", tune mih "steeldrum", or give any money to dat a**hole!

Potts cannot afford to be an OVERT racist, since his entire raison d'etre is involved with the Pan, our beautiful Trini innovation, but the guy is racist all right. IMO, which, I am entitled to.....And, I don't need Pantum to tell me what racist is or ain't! CHUUUUUUPS!

(BTW, any TUNTUN, with some capital, and a little musical nous, can take a plane to Piarco, meet up with one of our  tuners , lime with them for a while, buy a pan or two, and take advantage of their generous nature, and learn a few tricks...a few more visits, and he's a pan tuner, teacher, stealpan store, the whole caboodle!.... form a band....but the agent tells you, you ought to have a black face in the band! Oh, that's a good idea! CHUUUUPS!

@Pantum....yuh getting free mallets, I hope ;-)))

Well there's the response everyone was waiting for! I think NOW is the time to step back and let things return to fun pictures and other normalcy!

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service