When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Junior Pouchet of Silver Stars Steel Orchestra has passed

When Steel Talks extends condolences to the family and friends of Junior Pouchet founder of Silver Stars Steel Orchestra.

Related content:
Steelband Pioneer & Arranger Junior Pouchet Remembered: Eulogy

Views: 2303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From Les Slater...

I heard a while ago of the passing early this morning of Junior (Edgar) Pouchet in Orlando. I know WST, with its customary dedication and thoroughness, will be making mention of this loss to the pan world.  But I would just like to say how much I believe all lovers of this marvelous musical gift of ours should tip a hat, say a prayer or however they care to, manifest their gratitude for a gentle giant whose tremendous abilities on the musical front many of us will likely not comprehend for a while yet. In my own case, after dealing with the shock of Junior's sudden demise, I sought refuge and solace, albeit pleasant reverie, in "Elizabethan Serenade" which he rolled out for Silver Stars in 1964. What a monster job he did with that, as with a whole laundry list of other selections which bore his stamp. It was clear that Junior became convinced quite early, that he was divinely commissioned for an enduring embrace of this love of his life that pan quickly became. We, thank heavens, have been beneficiaries to a degree that perhaps confounds our capacity to adequately assess.  It is, and will be, a challenge coming to terms with Junior Pouchet's titanic presence in the arena being now ended.  But gratefully, there's this: To all who can, just listen to the music.

Well done, Junior. Yours was a labor of love we will long cherish.

Les Slater

I have extended my condolences to Junior Pouchet and family. He was a great band leader and highlighted the memories as Silver Stars was the the best dance steel band in the sixties. It was a pleasure for me to be in one of Silvers Stars (Los Angeles) recordings before he went to Disney World in Florida.  God Bless his family

The pan world has lost one of its giants. Condolences to the Pouchet family. I wish he was recognized far more for his tremendous contribution. Was in Silver Stars as a tenor player when he was arranging Jules Overture (a tribute to Neville Jules). At least Yara/the Music Literacy Trust managed to score that arrangement, and one other "Guitar Pan", his tribute to Invaders. Junior was indeed proud to see his arrangements preserved for eduaction. I remember his speech thanking the pioneers and saying that in time that the music will be what is remembered. He is one of the pioneers we should thank. RIP Junior.

Here is a video of Junior's speech at the Yara/Music Literacy Trust handover of scores to UWI - Silver Stars 60th Anniversary event 2008 in Silver Stars yard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQxa-pqRRS8&feature=youtu.be

Condolences to Edwin and the rest of the Pouchet family and friends of the family and Silver Stars on the passing of The legendary Junior Pouchet. My wife was next door neihghbour to the Pouchet family and  a  friend to the Pouchet family when they lived  in Cocorite and has some fond memories.

Junior you have certainly made a great contribution to the Pan movement and to Trinidad. .......... When the father calls each one of us we have to answer that call ...your call has arrived and may you find that deserved peace....but you have left immense wealth in your contribution that will be cherished and may you rest assured because you have witnessed that your brother Edwin has readily picked up the Mantle of Silver Stars and is succesfully continuing the journey.

Junior Pouchet  may Allah have mercy on your soul. .......Rest In Peace Pan Man

Salah

Condolences to the Pouchet Family and Silver Stars members past and present.

Junior will always be remembered.

Randi Curvan 

SINCERE-CONDOLENCES-ANOTHER GIANT HAS GONE TO MEET HIS MAKER. WILL SEND PRAYERS FOR HIS JOURNEY--"BANDIT"

I offer condolences to the Pouchet and Silver Stars family. Another Pan icon  will be missed .May the divine comfort and guide you all  at this time. R.I.P. ConPanion.

We've lost another of our greats but the legacy he has passed on will be with us forever.  His arrangements will live on in the pan world as examples of what we should always challenge ourselves to be, passionate firstly about our beloved instrument and secondly about the music.  My prayers are with his family and all who loved him.

My deepest condolence to the Pouchet family, Only today WST Posted the Video "Maestro Junio Pouchet and I watched it.

A hour ago I heard of his passing, we have lost a great Pan Man, Arranger and Band Leader.

I will miss Junior greatly. He was a great friend that I hold dearly in my heart forever. Rest peacefully old friend. The steelband world, everyone who came into your presence, and Trinidad and Tobago mourns your passing. Job well done. The world of steel will forever be greatful for your presence and dogged determination to bring our art form to the forefront. Rest peacefully.

My condolences to the Pouchet family. I have fond memories of playing Mas with Silver Stars in the sixties and dancing to their music at fetes, Bretton Hall, Carnival Sunday night before J'Ouvert. Silver Stars from Woodbrook and Dixie Land from Belmont were the bands followed by teenagers of that era. Thanks for the memories Junior. May his soul rest in peace.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service