Brooklyn, New York, USA - When Steel Talks (WST) will not be present at the 2015 New York Panorama competition. By choice. Based on our past experiences—including last year’s ‘not-ready-for-prime time, not-so-genius biting insects’ fiasco—we have concluded that this is not a situation that is conducive to WST producing its best work - unimpeded.

The great New York steel orchestra franchises simply deserve much better than they have been afforded. After forty-plus years of New York panorama competitions, the lack of presentation and production progress by the organizers (the same outfit for that entire period)—in a city that is the envy worldwide, of all involved in the performing arts—is abysmal.

Outside of 2001 when the New York steel orchestras organized and produced their own Panorama with quality sound engineering and after-products [CD, DVD] - it has been ‘same ole’ - ‘same O.’ Like the late Rudy King (the man who brought pan to America, and performed in the first Panorama competition) said when asked decades later what was different -- he answered regrettably “Nothing.”

Nevertheless, the Brooklyn orchestras will be there in full form showcasing their talent and brilliance in spite of the drama, hardships and financial difficulties. WST has heard and seen most of the bands. They’re coming with quality music products and performances. They always do.

After nights of sacrifice and practice in some very unfriendly conditions, there are some minimal expectations that these performing steelpan musicians should reasonably expect. After all, the Brooklyn panists are an awesome talent who are investing their time, monies and energies in this magnificent art form. Moreover, they have been a critical contributor to the cultural landscape of New York.

The prizes monies for the participation in the competition are nothing short of criminal, and have been for years. USD $20,000.00 as first prize, for steel orchestras that put out at least $60,000.00, usually much more - in preparation to participate in said competition? Let’s not go there. And the rehearsal/practice environment becomes increasingly more hostile every year, forcing almost all the orchestras to live a nomadic existence of ‘band on the run,’ trying to stave off homelessness and certain artistic/cultural and community death.

- See more at: http://www.panonthenet.com/news/2015/aug/not-going-to-ny-pamorama-8-28-15.htm#sthash.FwFanXNu.dpuf

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've been saying it for years, "Give them back their day, keep your money in your pockets and for those who can travel in and out of this country, go home for Panorama, spend your money where it's appreciated ". With the state of affairs with the NYPD  and other forces, it's not worth it anymore to expend that much time, energy and money to be treated like dogs. $20.000 after forty something years, give me a break, Please.

• Sherwin Campbell, I agree with all you said, but what you see is the sad reality of what they have, what can they do?

• I am so sorry to hear that WST/Pan times not attending the NY Panorama 2015, I remembered there was some kind of a conflict last year, well I was waiting for WST to post the Line up, luckily I got some info and I Posted  it myself,

So, this year we have to depend on the members to keep the Forum abreast on things in New York.

• Bede: Since you are going (LIVE) you could be the OFFICIAL REPORTER. Big promotion, boy.

• Claude Gonzales, Actually I am planning to attend, I haven't been to NY Panorama over 10 years.

• Considering the state of PAN in USA and UK Diaz and company must feel they doing a good job. Just thinking. 

Cary Codrington

This reply was deleted.