When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Poor production but rich performances at female steelpan jazz concert

The Trinidad Guardian

St. Joseph, Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - A disappointingly poor production coupled with the embarrassingly small audience in attendance devalued the laudable concept of paying homage to female members of the steelband fraternity at Panwomen Is Boss, an all-female Pan Jazz concert, staged at the La Joya Auditorium in St Joseph, on July 28.

It was produced by Pan Atlanta Networks, Inc, the most recent initiative of Trinidad-born economist, bandleader and pan activist, Dr Ajamu Nyomba (Carl Thomas).

....Scheduled to begin at 6 pm, the programme got underway one hour later, before an audience of just over fifty patrons, prompting show host CG (Derek Silman) to ask, rhetorically, “why is it everything to do with culture always have a lot of problems?”
read more

Views: 1985

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Big Act was WOMEN ON THE PAN, how much bigger can a act get in T&T ? I don;t think this has been done before.

True that!!!

Cecil: You would think that in the LAND OF STEELBAND that you will have a core following and that any decent show could draw from that pool. And with all the reported advertising and the gossip vines and the TEN THOUSAND pan players you might expect a default audience of at least a few hundred for any worthwhile pan production.

But because you could promote in Atlanta does not mean that you could promote in Trinidad. And the idea of JAZZ with NO NAME performers seems like a low percentage attraction from the start.

Boy they need you down there to crank up the movement!!! We leave Bertel in charge and the man let Diaz hijack the whole organization and put it in his pocket.

Though I have lived most of my adult life in the US, I am a true "Trini to the Bone," African, born in Trinidad, QRC Old Boy, my band won four panorama titles, I was a member of the band's executive and cello section leader for three of those, won three panoramas, steelband leader for over 25 years, staunch advocate for rights and benefits for steelpan players, promotes an intellectual perspective on the art form by lecturing to youth, convening symposia, etc.  How about you Cecil?

Though I have lived most of my adult life in the US, I am a true "Trini to the Bone," African, born in Trinidad, QRC Old Boy, my band won four panorama titles, I was a member of the band's executive and cello section leader for three of those, won three panoramas, steelband leader for over 25 years, staunch advocate for rights and benefits for steelpan players, promotes an intellectual perspective on the art form by lecturing to youth, convening symposia, etc.  How about you Cecil?

Ajamu, as Trini to the bone, are you familiar with the term " cant take fatigue"? I will say no more as to say that humility usually go a very long way.

Bertel, that is the problem with Trini's like Ajamu, they think they better off, the same way Ajamu right that is his personality, he talk down on you. I know the character.....

Gavin, maybe that's why no one showed up.

Cecil, I attend all pan shows in TT paid or free (tonight PAN ON D AVENUE) Ajamu I will never support his show!!!!

Well Garvin, if he is truly wise, he will learn quickly that you can't talk down to todays Trini.

Ajamu, If you did all that you said you did and no one showed up I would guess that people figure  you  are too SMART and feel stupid around you so they didn't show up. You ask how about me, I'm blessed.

Bebe,

I will also add to your comment " our art form is well accepted all over the world," and respected.

There are those who's appreciation for pan is just limited to the big name performers  that you mention and as "bigmacttwi" say "will only support ventures featuring certain bands post-Panorama." This event was the first I've heard about and the concept behind it shows the promoter is a visionary " Panwomen Is Boss, an all-female Pan Jazz concert"  a concept that will be a great marketing tool to promote outside T&T.

On this site (WTS) we see many young women doing impressive work with the instrument many of them, their names unknown to us until we saw their performances in the church, the concert halls, in schools and at steelband events across the country. I can't understand why we still continue to be so short-sighted when it comes to supporting this great art-form and its potential earn our gifted artiste name recognition and financial resources.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service