When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Semi Finals Results for Large Conventional Steel Orchestras - Trinidad & Tobago National Panorama 2018

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - It might be down to the wire for title defenders Trinidad All Stars as they are currently in fourth place, tied with Skiffle, going into the February 10, 2018 Trinidad & Tobago National Panorama finals - but do not count these “All Stars” out. However challenger to the throne Renegades Steel Orchestra led by champion arranger Duvone Stewart is intent on holding its lead going into final night competition.  The last time Renegades were Panorama champions was 1997- twenty-one years ago. Playing ‘Year For Love’ - could 2018 be the ‘Year For Renegades and Duvone Stewart?’ Time will tell.  And Stewart is also leading - at this point - in the medium steel orchestra category...

Read more

Large Conventional Steel Orchestras

RESULTS TUNE BAND SONG ARRANGER
1st
Renegades
Renegades Steel Orchestra logo
Year For Love Duvone Stewart
Duvone Stewart
2nd
Desperadoes
Desperadoes Steel Orchestra logo
Year For Love Carlton “Zanda” Alexander
Carlton “Zanda” Alexander
3rd
Phase II Pan Groove
Phase II logo
Hello Len “Boogsie” Sharpe
Len “Boogsie” Sharpe
4th
Skiffle
Skiffle Steel Orchestra
Hello Kendall Williams, Marc Brooks, Odie Franklin
Marc Brooks
Kendall Williams
Odie Franklin
4th
Trinidad All Stars
Lightning Flash Leon “Smooth” Edwards
Leon “Smooth” Edwards
6th
Supernovas
Supernovas Steel Orchestra band logo - When Steel Talks
Sweet Fuh Days Amrit Samaroo
Amrit Samaroo
7th
Silver Stars
Silver Stars Steel Orchestra band logo - When Steel Talks
Lightning Flash Liam Teague
Liam Teague
8th
Exodus
Exodus Steel Orchestra logo
Sweet Fuh Days Pelham Goddard
Pelham Goddard

&

Terrance “BJ” Marcelle
Terrance “BJ” Marcelle

9th
Invaders
Invaders Steel Orchestra logo
(ITF) Inside The Festival Arddin Herbert
Arddin Herbert
10th
Starlift
Starlift Steel Orchestra band logo - When Steel Talks
Full Of Vibe Robert Greenidge
Robert Greenidge

11th
Tropical Angel Harps
Tropical Angel Harps logo
Sweet Fuh Days Clarence Morris
Clarence Morris
12th
Fonclaire
Fonclaire Steel Orchestra logo
(ITF) Inside The Festival Leon Foster Thomas
Leon “Foster” Thomas
  13th
Redemption Sound Setters

Long Time Micheal Toby
Micheal Toby
14th
La Brea Nightingales
La Brea Nightingales
(ITF) Inside The Festival Richard Gittens
Richard Gittens

more Semi Finals results >>> Small | Medium | Large

Views: 1974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

merrytonestothebone on CLOUD 9 with this RENEGADES lead into the homestretch.

Looks like SKIFFLE will end up in FIFTH or SIXTH position on FINALS NIGHT -- no surprise to me!!!

I'm still here on earth sah...no cloud nine for me...just calling a spade a spade...anything could happen in two weeks...you know that too...Like Stewart said in the interview last night "we all begin at zero"...

Starlift and Silver Stars ahead of Tropical Angel Harps and NLCB Fonclaire . Are those judges for real? The struggles of South/Central Large bands continues. 

I keep telling you people panorama is nothing to take too seriously...From 6th place to 9th you have a one point difference....Every year the script is the same...Bands placing 6th or so down are virtually also-ran bands...So what is the justification for placing 10 bands in the final when the field is only 16? There should be no more than 8 finalists in the large category...

Have to agree with you on this one. Can't understand Tropical Angel Harps being left out even ahead of Exodus. Steups!!

MTTTB:
No Panorama semifinals cud launch you onto any cumulonimbus because your feet are firmly planted on terra firma. :-)

Look here! Even if yuh did call a spade a shovel, yuh woulda still be right!  Right? :-)
What makes your character so endearing is that you are not apt to express whimsical and frivolous utterances like "I knew it all along", or even, "no surprise to me" ... and for the most part, always after the fact. :-)

[This is not "Flatter to deceive"; but, rather "Laugh to provoke".   Read meh right.  OK?]  :-)

Tell me something.  Is the format of the judging in the prelims the same as that at the semis and at the finals? For instance, were the number of active judges at the prelims the same as at the semis (or at the finals, where the 'highest' and the 'lowest' scores are tossed out)?
If the formats are different perhaps that may in some way help rationalize the seemingly blatant disparity in the scores between the prelims and the semis.

Your observation of the 1-point difference between 6th and 9th has been duly noted.

Nevertheless, you're absolutely correct, once again in that "anything could happen in two weeks". In that vein, however, let me reiterate, "This is the 'Year For Love'."

Peace, Love and outstanding musical arrangements.

ps. When you have a polyharmonic arrangement that is so seamlessly weaved together AND reproduced with remarkable and noteworthy surgical precision by well-rehearsed pannists, more importantly, independent and harmonically complementary melodies ... well as I mentioned earlier ... that has to make other arrangers helplessly uneasy.
By the way, would you not agree that a score of 282 is more in line, or should we say, more fitting (than 264)?
Meh math has always been suspect, but that is 94%.    Correct?

I think that 278 is too generous for the second placed band...no band is that close to Renegades in quality...Look at the 8-point difference in the Medium category...To me it could easily have been the same situation for the Large bands....Re: the judging system it is indeed the same for all stages of the competition...What would always make the difference is panyard judging vs the big yard...Just as in real life..."all dog bad in dey own yard"...let dem come outside nah?...Panorama is no different...Duvonne alluded to that in his interview lat night as well...

MTTTB:
Wow!  Man, you hit it 'pre-xactly'.
I concur completely.

My apparent reticence regarding your keen observation, so succinctly put, is simple. I would like  this year for love to remain 'musical' and not be tainted by anything 'political'. :-)

I am just thoroughly enjoying the Panorama music in the 'now'.  I know you are too.

I too am enjoying this year immensely...Especially the way Renegades dominance is confusing the hell out of the rest of the field...They seem to have no answer...and I hope they never find one too...This year reminds me of Despers' dominance in both 1976 (Pan in Harmony) and 1999 (In My House)....everybody knew they were fighting for 2nd place from the start of proceedings...

TROPICAL ANGEL HARPS IS NOT A PART OF THE OLD BOYS CLUB "THAT IS PANTRINBAGO"  IN MY OPINION, NLCB FONCLAIRE,TOGETHER SILVER STARS, AND STARLIFT SHOULD NOT HAVE MADE THE PANORAMA FINAL.......PEACE!!

Starlift were particularly narcotic...I almost had to get up and walk around for fear of falling asleep...Really disappointing...

Basically pleased with the results but cannot for the life of me understand Tropical Angel Harps being left out and Exodus being placed in the final ten. Also both Phase 11 and All Stars weren't up to par as i had Skiffle Bunch and Supernovas ahead of those two in the top three. All Stars was same ole same ole and Boogise with his arrogant self who was so confident he would make the final said in his interview that he didn't change anything for the semis so in a nutshell they could play ta ta, and they will still put the Phase in the top three.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service