When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

So did Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber just steal KES The Band's "Savannah Grass" ?

Sure sounds to me like Ed Sheeran has again taken the key elements of somebody else's song. This time it's "Savannah Grass" by Kes.

Acoustic Version

Views: 11640

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just supports my argument that we have ALL THE MUSICAL ROOTS in THE WORLD but we LACK THE TALENT and PRODUCTION SKILLS to bring it to the GLOBAL MARKET!!!

AND THE SAME FOR PAN!!!

WHERE IS THE MUSIC????

Don’t think you can make that argument here. Good for a conversation piece but after two drinks, Kess Grass remains untouched.

Clevoy: I like your argument!!! But just like dem TRINIS does LIVE and DREAM PANORAMA. I does LIVE AND DREAM GLOBAL PAN MUSIC and GLOBAL CALYPSO MUSIC -- of course that is ONLY IN MY DREAMS because we are yet TO MAKE THE GLOBAL SCENE with the music PROPELLED by LOCALS!!!

No similarity whatsoever. Two completely different songs. No melody or chords or lyrics match. The courts would have ran you out having seen the score matches digitally analyzed.  You would have had to pay legal fees for  Beiber and Sheeran plus wasting the courts time.  One is Calypso/Soca one is Pop. Calypso/Soca is a small Island seasonal music genre. Pop is an international music genre and can be played all year round since it isn't seasonal and around the world. Reggae is also a small island genre but it isn't seasonal and can be played all year round around the world. There lies the difference in what is commercial music and what is not. Calypso singers or Soca singers must learn the art of writing for the international music industry. Actually Kes is the closest one to that understanding. He just hasn't met the right international producer. Chris Blackwell had to tell Bob Marley, that his competition were the Beatles, Eric Clapton, the Jackson Five and many others like that and he must try to think up some lyrics that can pertain to people of the planet earth and not just Jamaica. He did just that and became an international music star. The rest is history.

The same thing with Global pan music, Then one must also choose a global music genre. Not calypso or Soca Those are not global genres. To break into the global music market the genres must be global.  The songs must be global in character and known. The artistes may be unknown but at least the genres and songs must be known internationally. Then  when that is done  successfully. The new artistes must repeat this process until their names almost becomes household. Then those artistes can play anything after that. That's why record companies and producers in dealing with new artistes never allow them to sing their own songs at first. First sing other well famous songs. Break in, then sing yours. Then others will sing yours in the future. That is the system.

The calypso song "Rum and Coca Cola" had nothing to do with carnival which is a seasonal event. Its lyrics spoke of two world wide drinks rum, and coca cola coming together to make a cocktail drink. The lyrics went on to speak about prostitution subtly. Another internationally known act. How it practitioners work for the yankee dollar-the US dollar which is still widely worked for. The song went platinum after it was sung by the Andrew sisters who just breaking in the mainstream music industry. The producer followed the principle of breaking in a new artistes with a song whose lyrics appealed internationally the sentiments of people. That is called producing. The Courts actually didn't stop the song entirely. It was allowed to sell more but the actual Trinidadian writer Lord Invader  won his case that the lyrics was first written by him and was awarded royalties.  So it is not that calypso or soca can't become an international genre as well. its just that the lyrics must appeal to audiences internationally and the song's music can be adjusted to suit people internationally as well by adding pinches of pop, reggae, jazz etc which are already all international. The producer added jazz insinuations to Rum and Coca Cola and it worked wonders.This same process must also be continued. That's all.

Well Mr. Taylor

The great Stevie Wonder came out and said that the song "Blurred Lines" was nothing like Marvin Gayes "Got to Give it Up". Like you said Mr. Taylor the rest is history. Robin Thicke and Pharrell Willams got nailed for millions. Mr. Taylor I hope you are not one of those musical experts like Stevie Wonder.

The average layman could easily sing the melody of Savannah Grass over this song. The chord structure is the same. And the pseudo soca beat should raise eyebrows, the date of release of the song and the fact that Ed Sheran has been accused of doing this before - well you get the picture.

bugs

bugs: You know PLENTY about MUSIC and PAN MUSIC, boy. AH FRAID YUH!!!

But right now ah only have ONE THING on MY MIND: BEAT THE NORTH!!!

Mr. Bugs   The great Stevie Wonder is genius writer, singer, actor and artiste with one of the finest ears in music. He is right and so too the many other artistes that says it was a wrong judgement. The judge does not understand Copyrights laws. A song can sound like another song. They are written by human beings, so it is possible that a song can song like another.Human being also look alike as well what to speak of songs.  Millions of songs do sound alike for this reason. For Copyrights to work, the song must have the same melody line note for note without one note being different. The chords structure and sequence must also be the same even though it may be in a different key.  There are software written and approved by Courts to determine this. The lyrics must be the same. Also there must be some established contact with the artistes either in collaboration of some sort where it is determined that they met each other in some way.  But to say that some young people in the 21st century with so much technology at their disposal that would copy a dead artiste song is preposterous indeed.  Even if both songs have a similar rhythm pattern does not break Copyright laws. Many songs were done with that same pattern like a Ska beat.  It's a well known beat.  Rhythm patterns are not considered in Copyright Laws. The judge does not know a thing of Copyright and what it really is. Judges are ordinary men and women who sometimes play God really. They do not know everything and that is why there is an appeal system in law. Thank God for that. Many cases have been sent to the appeal state and the Law Lords pisses on the first judge for this reason The case you pointed out has not yet been decided by the appeal court, and even that appeal court can be appealed until it reaches the Supreme Court. I was not aware of the case but I immediately listened to the two songs and only picked up a similar bet pattern. But the melodies and chord structures are quite different. Mark my word you won't be able to beat the opinion of Stevie Wonder. He knows the game better than most of us. He will tell you when it is copied. Another one is Quincy Jones. Herbbie Hancock as well. They also know Copyright Laws because it forms part of their profession on a daily scale. A judge may not know  as much as musicians or song writers will know. The family of Gaye has obviously been mislead. In the appeal court the songs in question will both be pulled apart by professional software of all types and then it will be revealed they are quite different even though they "sound" alike. Sound alike forms no part of Copyrights. All these things have been trashed out in conventions held across the globe  and especially in the Berne Convention. Copyrights is not a new game. The songs have to totally match up in melody line and chords and lyrics. Not similar sounding or similar intentions of lyrics or even same names. These do not form part of Copyrights. The judge is a fool. He isn't the Supreme. He can be dead wrong. And he is.

Rumors

Both KD and Boogie will be on the plane to Toronto.

The sad part Claude is by the responses one can see almost all don't see themselves really part of the music business. Moreover they are not in a position where what is known in the business as the "silent dollar" to kick in for them. Instead, what you have is folks who don't have a clue - talking complete nonsense.

bugs

First of all, I do NOT appreciate listening to any Justin Bleeber song, but I did to hear the controversy! It certainly tries to sound like "Savanah Grass", while not copying it outright. I have little doubt that Kes' tune was the model for this one! I don't think it could be challenged in court though. The real job is to try and elevate the music of the USA to return to the days when such a mediocre talent is ignored by the audience. I fear I will not live long enough to see that happen, and must be content to enjoy Calypso, Soca, and Steelband for myself! Always trying to expose others to the beauty, complexity, and energy of we kinda music!! I have told maybe 60 strangers to listen to Hookin Meh, Famer Nappy, and the Renegades since March, such great stuff!

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service