165 unsponsored bands get $2.5m shot-in-the-arm

165 unsponsored bands get $2.5m shot-in-the-arm

Published: Thu, 2011-01-27 21:26
Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism Winston Peters, centre, shakes hands with Keith Diaz, president of Pan Trinbago at the cheque presentation at NAPA yesterday. Others in picture, from left, are Elton Bain, Beverley Ramsay-Moore, Desiree Myers, Esme Rawlins- Charles and Vernon Morancie. PHOTO: KARLA RAMOO

Cheques to the tune of more than $2.5m were yesterday distributed to 165 of T&T’s unsponsored steelbands.
The cheques were presented at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) by Winston “Gypsy” Peters, Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism, who noted an increase from last year’s grant. “In 2010,” he said, “$2,230,000 was given.” The minister said he viewed Panorama as integral to Carnival and the money would be used for the bands’ Carnival preparation.

“It will ensure each and every steelband participating is empowered and prepared for Carnival.” he added.
Each zone of Pan Trinbago was given a different sum with North Zone bands receiving $890,000, South-Central $500,000, East $910,000 and Tobago receiving $280,000. “I want to develop Carnival into a profitable and sustainable industry,” Peters said. He said there was also the need for increased private sector involvement in arts and culture with increased tax breaks up to $2 million being offered to companies who invested.

Peters added: “On February 4 we will be launching the National Registry of Artists and Cultural Workers. “It will be an on-line database where information on the members of this group can be accessed. “This is a positive way of ensuring the continued viability of the steelpan.” Peters pledged his commitment to the steelpan industry and promised to work closely with Pan Trinbago on its development.

Keith Diaz, president of Pan Trinbago, thanked Peters and the ministry for the support of the national instrument. “T&T is the headquarters and mecca for the steelpan and the grants will assist in improvements in the quality of steelpan music produced by bands in the Carnival season,” Diaz said. He said the tourism net for the country could be widened through further funding and assistance.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't know about those critics out there, but I like this.

This is the direction we should be going to, if we wish to support ALL the steelbands, and not just the big bands.

Many of us are overly concerned about the Panorama pot which is annually shared by the big sponsored bands, instead of the funding for the many  smaller, struggling and unsponsored bands.

I don't have a political axe to grind, and as far as I am concerned this is great news for the steelband movement, and the Carnival culture of Trinidad and Tobago.

This reply was deleted.