It is my firm belief that had Trinidad All Stars chosen Hulk by Blaxx as they chune they might be been 2018 panorama champions today.  All Stars as an organization has made the perfect call on almost everything this season. All Stars was awesome on Carnival Monday and Tuesday but they missed beat on the tune of choice. 

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My take on why All Stars didnt win the Panorama because the tune Ultimate Rejects sang was just an extention of last year's tune and All Stars made the same mistake that Ultimate Rejects made, it was the same arrangement as last year....I think Smooth was tired and didnt want to change the tune in the two weeks that he had..Im just saying

• bugs: I agree with you 80%!!! For the next 20% I would say: This is the year for Love DUVONE!!!

TOWN SAY DUVONE from JUMP STREET!!!

• Bugs, I hope I don't get into trouble here but I feel it not  the tune, but more the style of the arrangement.

• Sir, you are spot on. All Stars have been using the same template for the past three to fours years. The tune was not the issue but the repeated format from the past. The judges can smell that from a distance. Mr. Edwards is a much, much better arranger than that. Proof is in the past.

I am a former bass player and still support All Stars. Now, the bar has been set to a higher level by Duvone Stewart. Bands have no other choice now but to step up their presentation or be left behind, and not only by seven points. That's just the beginning. Catch him early or he'll widen that gap. Well deserved wins to Maestro Duvone Stewart. Congratulations.

• Cess:

It was mentioned sometime ago, in a pre-panorama posting, that the position of play on final’s night has a significant impact on the marks allotted. (And you know what? I agree.  Most everyone does.)

It was also mentioned that it was virtually impossible for Renegades to play from the #1 position on finals night and win.  That IF they did, that would be a serious accomplishment!!!

Well, ... you know what? They did both — play from #1 position and win by 7 points. 

SERIOUS, SERIOUS ACCOMPLISHMENT!! 

Now we start to hear bout if All Stars had chosen a different tune the outcome could have been different. ‘NOT-THING’ could have bested Renegades this year. Pure unadulterated musical dominance from Prelims, thru Semis, to Finals. 

Anyway you choose to cut, chop, blend, or mix it … in the Mecca, ah tink dey duz still call it ‘cut-arse’.

After the results last year, it was destiny that they should pull position #1 AND exhibit an unbeatable and undeniable performance.

Cess! Pull up Renegades final night performance. Or, request WACK to play it for you.

(Yuh cud even put your head close to the speakers, raise the volume, and LISTEN.)

I suggest that – not for you to agree with me – but for you to enjoy pan.

Betcha yuh go smile when de tune dun.  Sweetnesss duz always do that.

Doe dig!! All ah we is one family. LoL

• Dr. deLight

Renegades absolutely won Panorama 2018 hands down. The mastery of Duvone's arrangement and Renegade's musicianship is unquestionable. It was gigantic win. However, I don't think All Stars appreciated just how much the musical landscape for the large bands hand change in just one year.  Message chunes with strong melodies and musical content ruled.  

I would have loved to see how Claude's boy Andy Narell would have done this year. Pelham, Amrit, Arddin, and even Boogsie, gave up writing their own tunes this year.

bugs

• Bugs:

Please don’t misunderstand me.  I am not running down any pan side.  That just isn't my 'stretch'.  Ok?

But, while some folk will acknowledge that Stewart's arrangement was magnificent, you can tell they do so grudgingly.  Surely you have heard:

"Renegades was great, .... BUT!"  

"Duvone kill them, ... BUT!"  

"If only All Stars had chosen another tune they would have been champions today."  BUT!......

C'mon mannnnnnnn.......  Really?

The "What ifs" after the fact are not just merely uncalled for, but are completely incongruous. Explanation is not justification.

ps. See wha ah mean, Bugs?  Here's an example that underscores my point.  Ah jess now read dat de reason All Stars eh win is because "Smooth was too tired to change de tune in the two weeks he had".   LoL....

Look!  Best ah leave dat, oui.  Ah tired. Ah done.

By the way, this brings another point to the fore, a great idea mentioned recently by another Forumite. (Think you can guess who that might be?

He suggests that the number of bands in the finals should be limited to eight instead of ten?  I think it is a fantastic idea and I am all for it.  What do you think?

• Dr. Delight

In the interest of making the competition overall and Finals night in specific more worth while - eight bands in the finals is perfect.

bugs 

• Dr d...A good cutarse always has the same effect...wether is with a belt or otherwise...A good cutarse makes one think overtime...

• Merrytones:

Let me see if I understand what you're saying.

"When you get a win, you celebrate.

But when you get a cut-arse, you cerebrate."

LoL lol LoL.  LoL lol LoL.   LoL lol LoL.  

Marn, you wuss (funnier) than I thought.   

This reply was deleted.