He is one of the most dynamic talents out of the Caribbean. Hailing from Trinidad and Tobago, Leon “Foster” Thomas has already left an indelible mark in the music arena as a performer, recording artist and songwriter. Today, When Steel Talks (WST) has an exclusive interview with Leon as the world-class steel orchestra Panorama drummer for the recently-crowned 2013 Panorama Champion Phase II Pan Groove. Leon shares with us the mindset that has him revered as one of the best steelband panorama drummers ever.

read full interview

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• @ Patrick I am not aware of any competition. However, I know that Dr. Dawn Batson has pan functions at FMC.

But I have not attended in 2 years.

Thanks. I will be going back to Florida in 10 days.

• Kudos to Mr. Leon "foster" Thomas. My first physical contact with Leon was in 2002, when he performed his winning soloist piece at FMC in Florida.  At Pan is Beautiful 2002, he won the Soloists Category by 15 points. Leon, is also an up and coming arranger, who jumped from 6th at Brooklyn's Panorama to 2nd last year.  He is also versed at any percussive instrument. I last saw him at FMC when he performed with Liam Teague.

• Hey Ian, Do you know if Florida Memorial have pan competitions every year?

• Foster is not only a great drummer, he has taken pan to the Russian front, besides performing in different parts of the U.S. He has proven his Panorama skills and ability in Labour day N.Y. by taking a mediocre band lackink for good instruments and players and placing 6th in 2011  and 2nd (losing by four points) in 2912. He is also a composer of classical pieces, one of the best pieces "Call of the Amerindians" which he composed for Shiron Cooper (Deceased).He also won the soloist category in 2002 with his own composition.Also, an extremely good Tenor Pan Player. A Resource such as this weith the Talents he has should not be wasted. 

• Crossfire was never lacking for good instruments and/or players as far as I know. Crossfire did well under Brian 'bean' Griffith, not as well as Leon who is an excellent Jazz musician. Would like to see him arranging in T&T.

This reply was deleted.