Panorama 2009 - Oui Foote! By Queen Macoomeh According to de ole kaiso "Ah wasn dey, Ah wasn dey" but ah still see it an hear it doh. If yuh see me. I in meh duster, two pair'ah socks, vicks all up nearly in meh pweffen. Ah coughin an sneezin an watchin dat gawdforsaken snow fallin outside as if to say 'Yuh wretch! Yuh born in a nice warm country an still yuh take yuh farse self an migrate to Icebox Land? Now watch. Is carnival in T&T an you stick up so wid a cole an fever. Cyah even buss open a Carib self. Yuh radio stations only playin "Put A Ring Inside It" an de Best Of De Moron Tabaracle Choir. It good fuh yuh!" Meh macoomere call meh an give me de internets link to CTNT World so ah could watch de Panorama. By de time ah titivate I did done miss Sound Setters an most of Exodus. Ah come in time to hear de last 4 bars but ah settle mehself to hear toute monde after dat. Well all yuh done know meh mout have no lock when it come to Toronto's Pan Alive an pan in general. Ah does get boof back belly an side but ah does talk meh mine because as far as I see it, Pan belongings to me. Is mine, I born it, meh nabel string bury under it, it in meh blood, meh head an meh DNA. When ah dead ah coming back as a bass pan. click for full story

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yuh ever hear about metaphor?
    An now look de man inquiring as to my citizenship...lol..nah boy...what does that have to do with anything?
    I have to sift through your insults to find points you trying to make? Dais work man...

You seem to think the longer you talk, the louder you talk, the more convincing you are. You even want to tell me how and what to say and refer to people and what kind of supporter I should be. Who putting words in who mouth?
    jokey stuff

I am not trying to convince you of a blessed thing, so we agree it's a 2way. I stand by my words in the article. You disagree. Fine. But looking to obfuscate with all kinds of rhetoric and grand standing hasn't budged me one bit. I didn't ask for your approval nor do I accept all your arguments. I don't write for approval.

I am looking forward to Renegades return to the Winner's circle. You have a problem with how I respond to their placement these past several years but carrying on the way you are won't stop me for saying my piece.

yuh done in troot? Nah man, I sure yuh have one more diatribe left in you...

~~~~~~

In between de ole talk doh

When was that 100 count rule put in place? And why was there an issue on that night as opposed to when it was made?
    Clarify for me?
    • Ah giving yuh it from the start...

the 100 player rule was made at the beginning of the season, to facilitate payment from a govenment who were "tightening their belts" ... the bigger bands made noise from the start. The said if a rule like that should be introduced, it should have been announced at least a year in advance since overseas players already booked tickets to come down and play, in some cases since august/september.

Pantrinbago then held an emergency meeting and agreed that they will still hold the 100 player cap for the $1000 player fee, just for the prelims but will raise the limit back to 120 for the semis and final. Dais whe the bacanal really start.

a couple things happened when this was announced...
      the large bands call their overseas players and confirmed their spots and then the local players started leaving the smaller bands to learn music with the large bands. This Exodus (no pun intended), (ok, may it was), was hampering the rehearsals of the small, medium and single pan bands.

Another meeting was called a couple days before the semis. The SMALLER BANDS argued that the initial rule should stand, and they should be included in a vote. of course the smaller bands out number the large bands by far, so the 100 player rule stood.

By then the large bands where so fed up of pantrinbago's flip flopping that they just went with who they had thinking that pantrinbago would relax, as they usually do, on that particular rule, which they might of done until...

Mr. Mohammed, Exodus' manager (according to the pundits on the drag), started making noise after the 2nd change boasting that he coming with he 120 strong! they will have to put him off the stage... we all know how the story ended.

the talk was,
      Exodus dropped 25,
      Silver Stars 11,
      Renegades 18,
      Desperadoes 0,
      and Phase a whopping 60.

not sure about the rest.

(again that was the story on the drag on final night)

Probably Mohammed would have gotten away with it if he had canopies, but he cyar be so bold face all at once ... who he think he is, Queen Macoomeh or wha?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Macoomeh girl,

ah tired, but ah Still standing up for meh band, you throw a punch, I go pelt one back for sure. I hope you may one day start looking at the marathon instead of the finish line. Appreciate the progress, so your victories may be sweeter. Encourage your youth so that you may have respected leaders... and be patient, thats all... just be patient.
      • I fully understand your need to pelt back one after reading my piece. A knee jerk reaction that is expected. But it's the HOW that got me. It weakened any point you offered and I started skimming rather than reading your posts. That kinda rottweiler approach cah work with me. Talking a setta chupidness about where I Iiving, working, citizen, *steupse* I din teef yuh white fowl.

Yuh know how long we cudda agree to disagree?

There is no way a youth wearing Renegades colours could be demoralized by what I said. Not possible. Why? Because that band is a force beyond mere members or supporters. That is how I feel about it. Once they stand behind that pan in that band, their performance must befit those old guys I remembered who brought symphony to Observatory Street. Do they know how that band came to be and the sacrifices it took to get there? Or they just come to play? Someone reading what I wrote may be able to figure out it was a lament not some off-the-cuff boof by a body who happen to pass troo one night on de way to a nex panyard.
        With all the bands I heard that night, good bad and indifferent, my ears were still waiting for the band who had played for me since before birth. So please don't assume you know the kind of supporter I am. You were screaming at the choir. I've said I have been away a long time and I've heard a lot of other bands in the interim and none has yet sounded like my band.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~

Now about this head count business. If that is indeed the way the story went then I find that's a load of foolishness and grossly unfair, IMHO. The way it came across was that the bands were 'trying a ting' and I was wondering what going on. Those numbers you called that were lost that night make a massive impact and I for one wish they would leave politics out of this arena but then again, I still believe in the tooth fairy.

Mr. Mohammed needed to be boleface in troot, if I were there I wudda len he meh sceptre. Bole-faceness is seriously undervalued.

Ah gone...
        • Yuh thought ah done eh... nah. Ah was taking a rest bite to review the tapes and girl I must say... YUH WRONG STILL! But ill come back to that in a min.

What choir I screaming against? To my eyes and ears, I’m matching the volume in my attempt to help a rouge, or may I say, a Renegade soprano, who can’t seem to find the correct key of this aria... Your comments appeared to be loose and contrary to what the rest of the savannah thought about the performance... Judging from your run down of the bands, you seem to go on the crowd reaction, (which happened to be much louder for Renegades than in recent years); of the performances. That’s how they judge FOREIGN panoramas... not the Mecca, well, until now.

In fact, after watching the DVD, every thing you wrote in your "head-liner" piece seem to have described All-Stars’ performance actually... they were sloppy and lethargic and sounded like a slower version of last years performance. Not renegades baby... The pulse of the youth in-front the band reminded me of Selwin, Robert, Cox and Sheldon centering notes and making the music live back when they were that size, they and had the band pumping.

I wont be one to comment on how much history the kids know about the band but I definitely would not question their dedication to Renegades and what it means to them. They are my soldiers who are performing for the pride and glory of the community, not you.

I stick to my guns Q.M., you were wrong then, you are wrong now and seem to be forever wrong when it comes to “your out of timein” comments post panorama. No way, shape or form have seen what you described even in a third look at the performances. And on that note... here is my run down of the bands, after a second look...

1. Silver Stars
          2. Phase II
          3. Desperadoes
          4. Renegades
          5. All-Stars
          6. Exodus
          7. Deltones
          8. Redemtion

talk yuh talk...
          thats how i saw it.
          • My line up would look like this.
            1 Desperados
            2 Redemtion Sound Setters
            3 Deltones
            4 Renegades
            5 Phase II
            6 Silver Stars
            7All Stars/ Exodus
            l
          • "I wont be one to comment on how much history the kids know about the band but I definitely would not question their dedication to Renegades and what it means to them. They are my soldiers who are performing for the pride and glory of the community, not you."

They are supposed to be your soldiers not me. How can it be otherwise?

I couldn't hear crowd reaction on the medium I was listening to. I judged on what I heard which is what I said from day one.

I will still to my guns also.

Walk good!
          • I fully agree with you on All Stars 5th Allan..although for me Despers won hands down
  • Jojo, come leh we make Tobago Love here in de people forum!
    The beauty in all this is that I will still speak my mind ent? Meh back broad and ah know once ah talk ah go get critics coming from all under de house.
    You have a formal school of thought with all the years of teaching, learning, instruction and you have people like me who simply learned through osmosis. Is you or isn't you which one?
    Is it the cold Icebox Land air addling meh head? I doh know nuh. And to boot I heard Panorama over a vapsy, kiss-meh-neck link on the internet. If you know how that grine meh one lass nerve yuh would hush. I will assume since yuh come to boof me, that you were there and able to hear the proper timing and nuance. Pity me who cyah afford to be there. I was like a outside chile straining to hear de redifussion.

Silver Stars arrangement was completely outside the box. It was daring. It was bold. That is why they won Yuh want yuh regular 1-2, 1-2 doh-see-doh-ray-me, den fine, Despers had dat jam, as well as Delltones and All Stars. Newness does frighten big men so who is me and you? De rim din lower, de rim get push up bout 4 feet!

As for the band sizes, true...that one had me confused. I missed Sound Setters and Exodus but I think they said there were delays as men were counted or some foolishness so, right? I am more familiar with Toronto's bands and find the competition between all the band sizes to be unfair and silly. Have your categories, set your head count. But you're saying that lowering the numbers is what edged Silver Stars in? I cah say yes or no, I am not de gawdmudda but be that as it may, Silver Stars played a boss piece. Of all the 6 bands I heard that night, they stood head and shoulders above the rest. I couldn't even self teef for my band Renegades. Even though I learn pan under a rock behind a bridge in de night, it look like the judges agreed with me.

Jojo come again nuh, we go learn to love each udda when we done fight...
    QM
    • hmmmmmmmmmm

It is my understanding that it is sooooooooooooooooooo cold in Canada that when you strike the pan, the notes does fly off and break on the ground like ice. With this understanding meh poor "macoomeh" - me will give you a pass this time. By the way anything north of Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn is the North Pole for me. So if you saying the internet lines was cold they distort what you was hearing, I kinda understand (excuses, excuses - ha ha).

As you can see no one is talking about the great music Silver Stars left on the stage. They are talking about a great performance - and the players should be praised for their accomplishment. Much respect to the players and management of Silver Stars. HOWEVER, Macoomeh, the pan people are saying they glad to see Silver Stars win after all these years - or they saying the judges Tiifffffffffffffffff - or they saying Phase not come with it. To me it is understanding that the big five would be down, if not even demoralized when you are asked to cut 20 performing players. That is not the type of energy you want to take the stage with. All those youths who play in front and give Phase II so much energy was missing. All the players were behind the racks.

As for your band Renegades they were placed in a very hard place. How do you pay tribute to Jit without sounding at times like Jit? They should have used one of Amrit's tunes.

Jojo
      • Jojo, it cole in troot, I woon lie. I an all aksing mehself what I doing here. As for my excuse? Well I said right off the bat that I judged Panorama via CTNT link. That can't be the same as being there. Otherwise the judges could be all over the world via a live feed. How did you hear the show? What medium?
        Politics in pan? What a ting! LOL!
        I am saying how I received the music that night.
        If the bands knew it was a 100 man count, why bring 120 and be embarrased? Was it just that night while unpacking the pans that they found this out? Or were they hoping the authorities cyah count?

I think Silver Stars left great music on the stage. It's that simple for me.

As for Renegades. There is a way to honour the teacher by taking what he did and making it more rather than returning the same thing - showing that you learned it all AND could return it with an even brighter shine. It is difficult to improve on Jit's brilliance, I accept that. But the band lacked the spark and fire, their playing was lacklustre and tired. And that is how they placed.
This reply was deleted.